"Appledore is a market town and considerable seaport at the mouth of the rivers Taw and Torridge, about half a mile from Instow station on the Torrington branch of the Southern Railway, which is on the other side of the river Torridge, over which there is a ferry, and 3 miles north from Bideford; it is in the Barnstaple division of the county court district of Bideford; it is in the Barnstaple division of the county, hundred of Shebbear, petty sessional division and county court district of Bideford, rural deanery of Hartland, archdeaconry of Barnstaple and diocese of Exeter.
The town is lighted with electricity, and supplied with gas from Bideford and water from works the property of the Northam Urban District Council, of which district Appledore forms a ward. Appledore has two spacious dry docks, and on the east side of the town, facing Instow, is a broad and spacious quay, which is much frequented. The ecclesiastical parish was formed August 26th 1844 from the civil parish of Northam. The church of St. Mary, erected in 1838, is an edifice of stone in the early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and north and south aisles: the tower, which contains a clock and a fine peal of bells presented by William J. Tatem, 1st Lord Glanely, was built in 1909, and in the same year, the church was extended westward and a new organ added: a screen, the gift of the late P. K. Harris Esq. was erected in 1912: there are numerous stained glass windows, including one erected by the children baptised in the church and one presented by Lord Glanely in memory of the 76 men connected with the parish who fell in the Great War 1914 - 1918: there are 450 sittings.
The Register dates from the year 1844. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £326, with residence, in the gift of the Vicar of Northam, and held since 1921 by the Rev. Hugh Christian Andreas Sigvald Muller MA of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, who is also priest in charge of St. Helen, Lundy Island. There are Congregational, Baptist and Methodist chapels, A Sailor's rest and Seamen's Mission.
The trade principally consists in shipbuilding and steel and iron barge building, the importation of timber from Norway and Sweden, and limestone from Wales, and the exporting of gravel to South Wales. The Market House was erected in 1894 and will hold 500 persons. At West Appledore is a station of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution, equipped with a new and powerful twin-screw motor life boat, the "Violet Armstrong", the gift of Mr. Gordon Armstrong in memory of his late wife, and adjacent is the Custom House. There is also a coastguard station.
In Churchfield, there is an obelisk, erected in memory of the men of Appledore who fell in the Great War, 194- 1918. Salmon and codfish are caught in great quantities, and a small number of the inhabitants obtain their livelihood by collecting mussels at Braunton, and also a species of seaweed called "laver" which is much in request.
In the neighbourhood is the Hubblestone Rock, supposed to have been the burial place of the Danish Chief Hubba, who was slain near the coast A.D. 877-8.
Captain Hon. Denys Scott, Mrs. W. Anderson and the Harris family are the principal landowners. The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1931 was 2,367."