^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

AXMOUTH IN KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF 1889

 

Axmouth's main street in 2008

Axmouth's main street in 2008

© Richard J. Brine

 

Axmouth is a parish and a village situated near the mouth of the River Axe, 10 miles south-east from Honiton, 6 south-west from Axminster and 1 north-by-east from Seaton Station on the Seaton branch of the London and South Western Railway, in the eastern Division of the county, Axminster Hundred and petty sessional division , union and county court district, rural deanery of Dunkeswell and Honiton, and archdeaconry of Exeter.

 

The church of St. Michael is an edifice of stone, in the Norman, Early English, Early Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, north porch and an embattled western Perpendicular tower, with a turret at the north-east angle and containing 3 bells; in the church is an ancient monument. The Norman portions are the south aisle and north doorway; the Early decorated chancel contains the stone effigy of a priest, fully vested, placed within a recess formed by a rather lofty obtuse arch: beneath is a similar arch, canopied and with perforated cusps. The effigy probably represents one of the priors of the Benedictine Priory of Lodres, Dorset, to which this church belonged in the 14th century. There are 220 sittings. The register dates from the year 1603. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent charge £242, net yearly value £210, including 41 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of William Trelawney Hallett Davis JP  and held since 1874 by the Rev. Samuel Clement Davis MA, of Caius College, Cambridge. Here is a Baptist chapel erected in 1861. A pleasure fair is held yearly on Shrove Tuesday.  

 

On Christmas Day 1839, in consequence of a landslip*, 45 acres of arable land were lost to cultivation , two cottages situated on the lower part of the cliff were destroyed and a great chasm formed, more than 300 feet broad, 170 feet deep and three-quarters of a mile long. Two of the coastguard standing on Culverhole Beach on the night when this occurred, observed the sea to be in an extraordinary satate of agitation; the beach on which they stood rose and fell amidst the breakers near the shore, and something dark appeared to be rising from the bottom of the sea, accompanied by the deafening noise of crashing rocks. In 1840 another landslip occurred at Whitlands but of much smaller extent.

 

A coastguard station, with houses for the chief officer, and the men and their families, all enclosed with a stone wall, was ereceted by the late Sir Walter C. Trevelyan bart. on an elevated site near the seacoast in this parish. A handsome stone bridge of three arches, erected by the late Sir Walter C. Trevelyan Bart. crosses the Axe and connects this parish with Seaton.

 

William Trelawny Hallett Esq. JP of Stedcombe, who is lord of the manor, Edward Levi Ames Esq JP of Clevelands in this parish, and Sir Henry William Peek Bart. JP of Wimbledon house, Surrey, are the chief landowners. The soil  is flint with chalk, the subsoil is marl. The area is 4533 acres of land and 150 of water. Rateable value £4496. The population in 1881 was 679.

 

POST OFFICE: Mrs. Ann Beer, sub-postmistress. Letters received from Axminster at 9.10 am; dispatched at 4. 10 pm. Seaton is the nearest Money Office and Telegrpah Office.

COAST GUARD STATION: Henry Jenkins, Chief Officer.

National School (mixed for 100 children); average attendance 71; Miss Annie Hillman, mistress.

Go to THE AXMOUTH LANDSLIP to read more about the geological event which took place on Christmas day 1839.

 

RESIDENTS

Ames, Edward Levi JP, Clevelands

Butt, William, Burrough House

Craigie, John, MB; CM, physician, Southcott Villa

William Dampier

Davis, Rev. Samuel Clement MA, The Vicarage

Hallett, Colonel Clements, Haven Cliff

Hallett, William Trelawny JP, Stedcombe

Leigh, Miss, Brook House

COMMERCIAL

Bagwell, Grace (Mrs), tailoress

Bartlett, William, Ship Inn

Beer, Arthur, farmer

Beer, Bryan, shoe maker

Beer, Mary Ann (Mrs) Harbour Inn

Boles, Robert, blacksmith

Chrichard, James & Son, carpenters

Coles, farmer, Bosshill

Froom, Thomas, Bosshill

Harris, Robert, farmer, Whitlands

Jenkins, Henry, Chief officer HM Coastguard

Kibby, John, farmer, Crabhayne

Love, Samuel, boot & shoemaker

Morey, William, farmer

Newbery, John, farmer, Higher Brookland

Norman, William, sen., Haven Farm

Norman, William jnr.,farmer

Pearcy, George, farmer, Hay

Pile, Walter Robert, farmer, Combe Farm

Real, John, shoe maker & grocer

Restorick, Levi, shopkeeper

Sloman, John farmer, Dowlands

Symes, Alfred farmer

Webber, Edward, blacksmith

Wills, Walter, farmer

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page