^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

BISHOPSTEIGNTON IN KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF 1939

 

Bishopsteignton is a large village and parish on the southern slope of a hill on the north side of the Teign valley. It commands extensive views of the river Teign and is 2 miles west from Teignmouth, where the nearest railway station is, 4 miles east-north-east from Newton Abbot and about 11 south from Exeter, in the Totnes division of the county, Exminster Hundred, Teignbridge petty sessional division, Newton Abbot rural district and county court district, rural deanery of Kenn and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter.

 

Electricity is available. Main water is supplied to part of the parish by the Newton Abbot Rural District Council.

 

The church of St. John the Baptist, Bishopsteignton

The church of St. John the Baptist, Bishopsteignton

©Richard J. Brine

 

The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of stone in the Norman and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, north aisle and an embattled tower at the west end of the north aisle, with eight crocketed pinnacles, containing a clock and 8 bells re-hung in 1900. The western doorway is a fine example of Norman work; there are eleven stained windows, and monuments to Sir Peter Lear bart. ob. 1682, and Sir Thomas Lear bart, ob. 1705, and to William Martyn of Lindridge, ob. 1640, as well as several tablets. On the middle of the south wall are figures representing the "Adoration of the Magi". The register dates from 1540. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £400 with residence, in the gift of J. H. Comyns Esq, of Hatfield Hall, Durham.

 

The Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary Magdalene is served from Teignmouth. There is a Methodist chapel, another for Plymouth Brethren and a Baptist chapel at Radway, with 80 sittings. Coleman's Charity, left in 1719 for the free education of 20 poor children, now produces £52 yearly. Broad Meadow Charity, producing £9 yearly, is given to such poor as are  not in receipt of parish relief. There are almshouses for seven inmates, with an endowment of £10 yearly, left by Mrs. Rhodes.

 

In the parish are the remains of the ancient palace of the Bishops of Exeter, considerably enlarged by John de Grandisson, bishop 1328-70. Lindridge, the seat in the 17th century of the Martyn family, and later of the Lear family, is the property and residence of Sir Edward Charles Benthall; the house is of stone, standing in a park of 145 acres, approached from Chudleigh by a double avenue of elms, and from Newton by a drive through a wood a mile in extent.

 

Lindridge, Bishopsteignton - c.1818

Lindridge, Bishopsteignton - c.1818

Courtesy: Devon County Council

 

John H. Comyns Esq., who is lord of the manor and Captain Sir Edward Charles Benthall are the chief landowners. The soil is chiefly limestone; the subsoil is gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 3987 acres of land and inland water. The population in 1931 was 1104 in the civil and 1000 in the ecclesiastical parish.

 

By the Devon Review Order, 1935, part of this parish was transferred to Teignmouth.

 

Coombe Hamlet is about 1½ miles east-north-east and Ashwell Hamlet 1 mile north-west.

Luton, an ecclesiastical parish formed from Bishopsteignton, is now listed separately.

 

Post, Money Orders and Telegraph Office. Letters through Teignmouth.

Conveyance: Messrs H. D. Gourd & Sons, omnibus to Newton Abbot & Teignmouth daily at frequent intervals.

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Allanson, Baily Thomas Noel, Marston

Belcher, Harold, Palma

Benson, Mrs, Murley Grange

Benthall, Sir Edward Charles, Lindridge

Bewley, Major Benjamin John, Mayfield

Biddle, Rev. Cyrille Gordon, (vicar), The Vicarage

Braley-Thomson, Henry Fraser, The Gnoll

Buckle, Miss, Chaceley

Carden, Mrs. Beatrice W, Stock Meadow

Chamberlain, Harry, Hartland

Comuns, John H, Wood

Cook, William Gladstone, Park Mead

Dandridge-Brown, H, The Green

Denmark, Alexander George, MD, Burleigh

Duder, Arthur, The Cross House

Dunsmure, Mrs. Beatrice M., St. Anthony's

Edge-Partington, Mrs. May, Coombe Hatch

Gardiner, Mrs. P. F., The Cottage

Garratt, Geoffrey T., Bishopsteignton House

Goodenough, Eli, Krithia

Helps, Miss

James, Arhtur R, Ashburton House

Johns, Miss, Latmus

Johnson, Miss, Barnwood

Keen, Ernest, Clover Rise

Lacelles, Charles, Tapley

Mills, Cecil, Radway House

Nalder, Mrs. Freda, Greenways

Paddey, Frederick W, Green

Pallin, Mrs. Elizabeth Constance, Southern Cross

Parsons, Mrs. H., Tor View

Patterson, Alexander John, White Lodge

Rae, Mrs., The Moors

Robinson, Mrs., Floors Cottage

Stedman, Mrs, Clanage

Sweetapple, Miss, Higher Green

Thompson, Major Gordon, Teign Lawn

Vanstone, Ernest, D.Sc., Mortlake

Vaughan-Phillpott, Captain Douglas Arthur, Kittoes

Whiteway-Wilkinson, Mrs. C. E.,Inverteign.

COMMERCIAL

Apps, George, Insurance Agent, 1 Council Houses

Baker, Leslie T, nurseryman, Great Park Nurseries

Ball, Harolod S, nurseryman, Great Park Nurseries

Beamish, Mona (Miss), dog breeder, Tideways

Berry, Richard Border, undertaker

Bibbings, Wilfred, grocer, Ford Street

Bishopsteignton Clubs &c:

Bowling Club (sec. C. B. Wallis)

British Legion Branch (hon. sec. S. Radford)

Cricket Club (sec. B. Blatchford)

Football Club (sec. Leslie Martin)

Unionist Association (sec. P. Coombes)

Bradridge, William Stuart, farmer, Home Humber

Brotherton, Gordon, petrol filling station, Martin's Park

Bryant, Edwin Lewis, smallholder

Burley, James, blacksmith, Radway

Churchill, Frank George, builder, Idaho

Cleland, William D.,builder, Fore Street

Coaker, William S., farmer, Wear

Cockhaven Manor Hotel (prop. C. F. Radmore)

Commercial Inn, (prop. William John Mole)

Coombe, Philip, builder

Courtney, Joseph Monlas, MRCS; LRCP, physiciain, Fore Street

Davey, Sidney A., coal merchant, Smith Hill

Davis, Annie (Miss) district nurse, Fore Street

Dawe, W. H & Sons, farmers, Ash Hill & Radway Farms

Discombe, William Haydon, farmer, Wolfsgrove Farm

Dymond, Hugh William, Radway Farm

Evans, Mabel Jane (Mrs), shopkeeper

Fey, William E, builder, Fore Street

Gourd, H. D & Sons, motor bus proprietors, Radway

Harris, Joseph, draper, Fore Street

Hooper, Stanley George, farmer, Stannings

Huntley Hotel (Mr & Mrs F. J. Fedden, directors)

Isaac, William Henry, farmer, Cockhaven Farm

Johns, John Foote, farmer, Park Farm

Jubilee Boarding Kennels, dog breeders

Lloyds Bank Ltd, Fore Street (Thursdays 10 to 11.45 am)

Manley, C. R. chemist, Fore Street

Mann, M. B (Mrs) farmer, Shute Farm

Manor Inn (prop. Thomas Henry Vallance)

National Provincial Bank Ltd, Fore Street (Thursday 10 to 11.45)

Patterson, Alex John, LRCP; DPH; physician & surgeon, White Lodge

Pook, David John, stationer & post office

Pugh, Jack William, watch repairer, Rose Cottage

Righton, F. L., clerk to the Parish Council

Ring of Bells (prop. Charles Ridgeway)

Ryder, William John, butcher, Shute Hill

Sainsbury, Dudley G.,farmer, Venn Farm

Sharland, Reginald William, farmer, Higher Humber

Snell, Frederick W, battery charging station, Smith's Hill

Taylor, Samuel George, motor garage

Teignmouth Golf Club (sec. W. C. Wallington), Haldon

Ward, John William, butcher

Warren, William, boot repairer

Webber, Charles, gardener to Sir Edward Benthall, The Lodge

Westlake, William H.,boarding house, Nirvana

White, Frederick J, baker, Fore Street

Witheridge, Stephen Harry, painter & decorator, 2 Orchard Terrace

COOMBE

Soper, Frederick W. J. farmer, Coombe Farm

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page