^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

  RESIDENTS  IN KELLY'S  DIRECTORY OF 1902

Use the scroll bar to view the complete page

 

"Brampford Speke is a parish and village on the river Exe, with a station on the Exe Valley branch of the Great Western Railway, and is 5 miles north from Exeter, in the North Eastern division of the county, Wonford hundred and petty sessional division, St. Thomas Union, Exeter county court district, rural deanery of Cadbury, and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter.

The church of St. Peter, rebuilt in 1853, is an edifice of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of a chancel, nave, south transept, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells, all cast by T. Billbie in 1755; the treble bell was added in 1896: the east window is stained, and there are others bearing the arms of the lords of Cowley from the reign of King John to that of Edward VI, as well as those of the families of Treminet, Speke, Gibbs and Pierce, lords of the manor of Brampford from Henry I to George II: there are 150 sittings. The register, dating from the year 1739, and existing in 1831, has since been destroyed.

The living is a vicarage, with Cowley annexed, net yearly value £211, with residence and 32 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1882 by the Rev. Thomas Blundun of St. Augustine's College, Canterbury. There is a small Baptist chapel here, erected in 1894. The charities amount to £13. 13s and are distributed in bread and money.

The Earl of Iddesleigh, CB, is lord of the manor and principal landowner and Lieut. Col. Frederick Davies of Brampford House is also a landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay and sand;  and the chief crops are corn and root crops. The area is 1,135 acres of land and 28 of water; rateable value £2, 979; the population in 1901 was 313.

By Local Government Board Order 16,545, Cowley Barton was amalgamated with Upton Pyne, March 24 1884, for civil purposes.

Sexton: Henry Staddon.

Post and Money Order Office, Savings Bank and Annuity & Insurance Office - Miss Francis Holmes Caryl, sub-postmistress. Letters received by foot post from Exeter at 7.30am and 4.30 pm and are dispatched at 2.25 and 6.50pm; Sundays, received at 8.40 am and dispatched at 8.40pm. The nearest telegraph office is Stoke Canon, 2 miles distant. Wall box at Chamberlains cleared at 2.40 and 5.0pm.

National School (mixed), with Master's residence attached, erected in 1867, for 72 children; average attendance 43; John Porter, master.

Railway Station: Alfred Tucker, station master.

Carrier: Mrs. Lydia Brookes to Exeter, Tuesday and Friday."

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Bellew, Miss, Tower Lodge

Blundun, Rev. T., Vicarage

Bramwell, Arthur Barclay, Bornhill

Carter, Miss, Home Living

Caryl, John, Pynes Cottage

Date, Mrs., Booth Cottage

Davies, Lieut. Col. Frederick, Brampford House

Finlay, the Misses, The Avenue

Osmond, John, Woodrow

 

COMMERCIAL

Brown, William, Sowden Farm

Brookes, Mrs. Lydia, carrier

Caryl, Miss Francis Holmes

Channon, Daniel, farmer, Higher Woodrow

Corry, Nicholas, mason

Crook, John, Norton Farm

Fry, Tredway, mason

Godsland, Richard, carpenter

Hosegood, John, farmer, Woodrow

Humphrey, Richard, carpenter

Leach, James, gardener to the Misses Finlay

Lethbridge, Hugh, farmer, Chamberlains

Osmond, John, farmer, Woodrow

Phillips, William, farmer, Mount Pleasant

Portbury, Mrs. Elizabeth, baker

Porter, John, schoolmaster and assistant overseer

Sanders, Edwin, gardener

Southcott, Richard, cooper

Staddon, Henry, pig dealer

Staddon, Henry Dagwell, Agricultural Inn and blacksmith

Symes, Frederick, farmer

Vowler, Mrs. J., shopkeeper

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page