^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

BRIDESTOWE IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1878

 

Bridestowe (or Bridestow), 6 miles SW of Okehampton, a parish and neat improving village in a pleasant valley near Dartmoor, is in Okehampton Union, county court district and rurl deanery, Lifton petty sessional division and hundred, Lew Down polling district of South Devon and Totnes Archdeaconry. Its parish had 762 inhabitants (375 males, 387 females) in 1871, living in 162 houses on 5861 acres of land, including Combe-Ball, Watergate, Fernworthy, Bidlake and a large tract of moorland hills, in which are the lead and copper mines of Wheal-Mary, Wheal Newton &c.

 

The manors and their resident owners are:

Sanctuary of Bridestowe - The Rector, the Rev. Charles Whitley MA

Cobham-Wick - J G Newton Esq

Blatchford - J G Newton Esq

Leawood - S C Hamlyn Esq

The Rev. J Woolcombe and others have estates in the parish. Millaton, a handsome mansion with tasteful grounds, is the seat of J G Newton Esq and was rebuilt about the close of the 17th century, but has been much enlarges and beautified. In the house is a fine museum of stuffed birds &c and a richly-carved oak bedstead of the Elizabethan age. On the site of the ancient domestic chapel, some coins of Louis IX of France were found some years ago. Leawood, the seat of S C Hamlyn Esq., is a fine old mansion which was long the seat of the Calmady family.

Cattle fairs are held in the village on the first Wednesday in Jun and July 29th.

The church (St Bridget) is a small antique fabric, with a tower and six bells; the chancel was restored and the vestry added in 1800 by the rector.. This church has been re-roofed and s et of chimes added at a cost of between £200 and £300, defrayed by the landowners and the rector. A window has been filled with stained glass by Mrs. Clarke, the rector's wife, in memory of her nephew, Herbert H Clarke. The east window has been filled with stained glass by the rector's mother-in-law, Mrs Menzies, in memory of her husband and son; it represents the Two Sacraments and the Ascension; the church contains several neat monuments.

The entrance gate to the churchyard is a fine Norman arch supposed to be the remains of the original church. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £32 17s 11d and now at £575 with the curacy of Sourton annexed to it, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter and incumbency of the Rev. Charles W. Clarke MA who has a handsome rectory house and 85 acres of glebe land. The tithes were commuted in 1846 for £317 5s per annum. A field of 3 acres has long been vested for the reparation of the church. The Bible Christians have a small chapel here.

The national school, erected about 1840, was rebuilt in 18862 and is attended by about 100 children. The West of England Compressed peat Company (Limited) has just  been incorporated with a capital of £50000 in £5 shares, to work the vast peat beds of Dartmoor and to convert the peat into fuel. The peat lands are situated three miles from Bridestowe and the  branch railway will convey the peat here. Mr G W Couch is temporary secretary of the company.

Post office at Miss Mary Ann Peard's. Letters are received at 5 am and despatched at 7.20 pm. Okehampton is the nearest money office.

 

Bridestowe Mill in 1842

Bridestowe Mill in 1842

Courtesy of Devon County Coucil

 

RESIDENTS

Alford, Robert, blacksmith, Coombow

Alford, Walter, carpenter

Andrew, Rev. Thomas Pryn BA, Curate

Arbory, James Harry National School teacher

Arbory, Miss Jessie, National School teacher

Baker, Samuel, farmer

Bartlett, John Adams, farmer, Great Bidlake

Bevan, Mrs Jane, farmer & shopkeeper

Bickle, William, farmer

Braund, John, carpenter, Coombow

Bray, Joseph, shopkeeper

Brook, Philip, farmer, Fernworthy

Buckingham, John, victualler, The Royal Oak

Clarke, Rev.Charles Whitley MA, rector, The Rectory

Cole, Thomas, farmer, Way

Elworthy, Thomas, farmer, Stone

Friend, James, farmer, Fernworthy

Gale, Mrs Susannah, beer retailer

Gould, James, farmer

Guscott, Mrs Jane, victualler, The White Hart

Ham, Robert, blacksmith

Hamlyn, Shilston Calmady, Esq.,JP, Leawood

Hatch, Edwin, boot & shoe maker, Valedown

Higgins, George, farmer, Churndon

Hockaday, Robert, miller, Bidlake Mill

Hooper, Richard, farmer & butcher

Joyce, James, saddler

Joyce, James, parish clerk

Lavis, William, farmer, Great Crannaford

Lintern, John, farmer, Blackabroom

Linton, James, mason

Linton, John, mason, Coombweek

Linton, Samuel, mason

Martin, John, farmer, Valedon

Millman, Thomas,, blacksmith

Newton. .Mr. John Gubbins, Millaton House

Orchard George, farmer, Little Crannaford

Palmer, John Durrant, farmer & lime merchant, Great Close

Palmer, William, farmer

Peard, Miss Mary Ann, postmistress

Powell, Edmund, victualler, Fox and Hounds

Richardson, John, London & South Western station master

Routley, John, farmer, Ebsworthy Town

Rundle, John, painter & glazier

Surcombe, Samuel, blacksmith, Cross Lanes

Vadden, William, farmer, Ebsworthy

Vicary, George, captain, Limestone Quarries

Weeks, Samuel, carpenter

Westlake, Thomas, farmer, Brambleham

Yelland, David, farmer, Bara

Yelland, William, farmer, Coombe Hamwick.

RAILWAY (London & South Western): John Richardson, station master.

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page