From "Historical Notes on Devon Schools"
by Robert Bovett 1989
"A school for Boys and one for Girls is recorded in the Education Returns of 1833 and as no date for the commencement is given, it is to be assumed that they existed in 1818, the date of the previous return.
It is recorded in the Charity Commissioners' Report that the Church House was used partly for the school and partly for dwellings for poor persons and as the poor would have been removed to the Union Workhouse probably in the late 1830s, it is evident that the school was in the Church House before that time and probably from its commencement.
In December 1856, the Earl of Portsmouth granted to the Minister and Churchwardens, free of cost, a site for a new school and in 1857, the old Church House was demolished and the materials used towards the building of the new school, the local farmers doing the hauling of the materials and other costs being met by voluntary contributions and a grant from the National Society. The accommodation consisted of a large schoolroom and a classroom, with residences attached for the Master and the Mistress.
This is the present school."