^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

BURRINGTON IN KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF 1923

 

Burrington Church with the tower clock referred to  below

The church tower clock presented by Mrs. Budgett

in memory of her husband and referred to below

©Richard J. Brine

 

Burrington is a parish and village about  2 miles south-west from South Molton Road station and about the same distance from the Portsmouth Arms station, both on the North Devon branch of the Southern (late London and South Western) railway (the latter being in the parish), 4 north-west from Chulmleigh and about 12 south-west from South Molton, rural deanery of Chulmleigh, archdeaconry of Barnstaple and diocese of Exeter.

 

A stone bridge of three arches across the River Taw, erected in 1908, half a mile west from the Portsmouth Arms railway station, connects this parish with Chittlehamholt.

 

The church of Holy Trinity is an ancient edifice of stone, in mixed styles, consisting of a tower on the north side containing a clock and 6 bells; the clock was the gift of Mrs. Budgett in memory of  her husband; the church was entirely restored in 1869 and has an open oak roof, the piers supporting it being solid monoliths of granite; there is a handsome carved oak screen and a memorial window to the Rev. James Buckingham, rector here from 1814; a brass tablet was erected in 1902 as a memorial to William Buckingham JP of Northcote Manor, and his wife and eldest daughter; a new organ was provided in 1900; and oak eagle lectern was presented to the church in 1910 by Mrs. Buckingham in memory of her husband A. W. Buckingham Esq.; the church has 350 sittings. the living is a vicarage, net yearly value £458, including 15 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1903 by the Rev. Mortimer Drury Buckingham of Chulmleigh. There are United Methodist and Baptist Chapels. The poor receive £2 a year from Pyncombe's charity.

 

A fair is held on Trinity Monday yearly for cattle and sheep. Northcote Manor is the property and residence of Major General Sir Harold Arthur Lewis Tagart KCMG; CB; DSO; JP and commander of the Legion of Honour who is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is dun land, the subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and land in pasture. The area is 5323 acres of land and 26 of water. The population in 1911 was 662.

 

POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE: Mrs. Elsie Short, sub-postmistress. Letters through Chulmleigh which is the nearest money order office.

PORTSMOUTH ARMS RAILWAY STATION: F. W. Reeves, station master

PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (mixed) for 108 children: John Horatio King, master.

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Blunden, Mrs. Glebe Cottage

Buckingham, Rev. Mortimer Drury, MA (vicar and rural dean) The Vicarage

Buckingham, Miss, The Vicarage

Cooke, Mrs. South View

Davis, John Samuel Champion, CBE; MA; VD; DL; JP; Kingford

Embery, Herbert, Holway House

Lawrence, Robert, Heathcote, Bridge House

Pickard, Jonathan, JP, Hill Crest

Pickard, Robert, Oak Cottage

Rippin, John

Rippin, Tom, Hill Sampson

Tagart, Maj-Gen. Sir Harold Arthur Lewis, Northcote Manor

Turner, Christopher, Cleave House

COMMERCIAL

Babbage, Herbert, farmer & landowner, Abbotsmarsh

Babbage, Percy, farmer, Boutchlands

Baker, Albert, blacksmith

Bendle, Alfred John, farmer, High Hayne Barton

Buckingham, Thomas, wheelwright

Burrow, Annie (Mrs.) & Son, farmers, Cleave

Butt, Phoebe (Mrs.), farmer, Churchlands

Cole, John, farmer, Burcham

Cole, Samuel, farmer, Great Halfsbury

Cooke, John, tailor

Courtney, William Henry, beekeeper, Rowes Cottage

Dillon, James Babbage, farmer & landowner, Pavington

Dillon, John, farmer & landowner, Leachland (resident at Pavington)

Drew, Thomas, grocer

Ellicott, Thomas & Son, farmer, Upcott

Ford, John Turner, builder

Friend, William, farmer, Southcott

Heard, Amos, farmer, Hansford Mills

Heard, William, blacksmith

Hellyer, Frederick William Stevens, farmer, Twitchen

Hill, John Samuel, farm bailiff to Sir H. Taggart, Little Northcote

Holland, John, farmer, Pool Batten

Joslin, Arthur, farmer, Ley

Kingdom, Thomas, farmer, Leachland

Middleton, Richard, farmer, Golland

Mills, Thomas, farmer, Southdown

Mills, Elizabeth (Mrs.), grocer

Pearce, Thomas, farmer, Curzlands

Pickard, Jonathan, seed merchant

Pincombe, Alfred, farmer, Week

Pincombe, John, farmer, Aylescott & Handford

Prouse, Joseph, farmer

Shaddock, William Underhill, farmer, Week

Short, John, farmer, Catham & Winswood

Snell, John, Portsmouth Arms

Snell, Robert, farmer, Aylescott

Symons, William, Barnstaple Inn

Tancock, Albert, farmer & landowner, Barton

Tucker, George, farmer, Barnpool

Tucker, Henry, farmer, Hacknell

Tucker, James, farmer, Cross Park

Vicary, Richard William, farmer, Bridge

Watkins, John, farmer, Callard

Webber, John, farmer, Curzland

Webber, John William, thatcher, Sunnyside

Western William Henry, shopkeeper

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page