^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

CHUDLEIGH RESIDENTS IN THE  UNIVERSAL BRITISH DIRECTORY c. 1794

 

The Universal British Directory of Trade, Commerce & Manufacture was issued in separate volumes over a period of 7 to 8 years between 1791 and 1798. As the different volumes were published, updates and alterations were made so that no listing can be specific to a single year but rather, to the final years of the 18th century.

 

No street locations were given for the traders. The original spelling has been retained.

 

Ugbrook House and Park, Chudleigh - 1815

Ugbrook House and Park, Chudleigh - 1815

Courtesy of Devon County Council

 

CHUDLEIGH is a small market town, 183 miles from London, 9 from Exeter, 10 from Ashburton, 10 from Moretonhampstead, 4 from Bovey Tracey and 6 from Teignmouth, with good turn-pike roads to each. It has a neat church; the present incumbent is the Rev. Gilbert Barrington. There is also a meeting house for Dissenters. the principal trade is the woollen - manufactory. the market day is on Saturday. It hath three fairs annually, viz. Easter Tuesday, June 21 and October 2.

 

The post office opens at six o'clock in the morning and shuts at nine in the evening. Two stage coache pass through this town from Exeter about nine o'clock  every morning on their way to Plymouth, and return about three. A stage wagon from London passes through h ere every Wednesday afternoon on its way to Plymouth, and returns every Saturday afternoon. The principal inns are the Clifford's Arms and the King's Arms.

The following are the principal inhabitants:

 

CLERGY

Garrett, Rev. John, Master of the Boarding School

Matthew, Rev. Charles

Jones, Rev. John, Dissenting Minister

PHYSICIANS

Mitchell, Robert, Surgeon

Yard, Hugh. Surgeon

LAWYERS

Hellyer, Christopher, Attorney

Matthew, Philip, Attorney

TRADERS

Adams, William, glazier

Beard, John, woolcomber

Bidgood, William, merchant

Bond, William, Boarding School master

Bonfill, Ann, shopkeeper

Carlile, John, tallow chandler

Collins, Joseph, farmer

Cornish. John, butcher

Collins, Thomas, woolcomber

Dascombe, William, shoemaker

Edwrads, Richard, baker

Foniour, Henry, Boarding school master

Flaw, Nicholas, woolcomber

Garrett, John, post master

Harris, Thomas, taylor

Hayne, John, farmer

Lear, James, woolcomber

Lear, William, butcher

Lapthorne, Henry, woolcomber

Martin, John, mason & victualler

Martin, Philip, taylor

Mitchell, John, joiner

Moore, John, taylor

Moxey, Francis, shopkeeper

Otten, Francis, heel maker

Orchard, Joel, farmer

Orchard, Joel, shopkeeper

Pulling, William, serge maker

Pulling, John, serge maker

Pulling, Thomas, tanner

Peddar, William, victualler

Prouse, George, taylor

Pridham, William, butcher

Pike, Joseph, merchant

Rendle, John, woolcomber

Rolestone, George, hat maker

Rolestone, William, farmer

Shambler, Samuel, shoemaker

Shape, Edward, woolcomber

Searl, John, joiner

Searl, George, clock and watch maker

Saunders, John, millwright

Tapper, John, baker

Tripe, Henry, tallow chandler

Tuckett, John, victualler

Weeks, Thomas, joiner

Westcott, James, woolcomber

Weston, - , victualler

Weston, Ann, shopkeeper

Williams, John, white smith

Wills, Thomas, woolcomber

Wright, Andrew, woolcomber

Wright, Thomas, blacksmith

Wright, William, woolcomber

The gentlemen's seats in the neighbourhood are:

Ugbrook, the seat of Lord Clifford who is lord of the manor

Whiteaway, the seat of Montagu Parker Esq, three miles

Haldon House, the seat of Sir Robert Palk, five miles away

Mamhead, the seat of the Earl of Lisburne, five miles away.

The surrounding villages are

Trusham - 2 miles distant

Ideford, 2 miles distant

Knighton, 2 miles distant

Hennock, 3 miles distant

Ashton, 4 miles distant

Christow, 5 miles distant.




 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page