John Walling Brooks' school for boys continued to thrive and it would seem that Clara Tuke educated the sisters of some of those boys from time to time. The Walling Brooks family made the decision to reopen their original boys' school building - Rock Hill House - as a school for girls and by 1891, this was established with one of John's daughters in charge - Annie Brooks (25) and her sister Amelia (19) acting as housekeeper. The opening of this school coincided with Clara Tuke's decision to leave Chulmleigh in order to expand her girls' school elsewhere.
The 1891 census shows a teaching staff consisting of two governesses in addition to Annie Brooks. It also shows a solitary little boy as a pupil of the school.