^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

DUNSFORD IN KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF 1902

 

Dunsford is a parish and a village on the bank of the River Teign, on the road from Exeter to Moretonhampstead, and is 5 miles east by north from Moretonhampstead station of a branch of the Great Western Railway and 7 miles west by south from Exeter, in the Mid division of the county, the hundred of Wonford, petty sessional division of Crockernwell, union of St Thomas, county court district of Exeter, rural deanery of Kenn and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter.

 

The church of St Mary is a fine old structure in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of a chancel (rebuilt in 1846) nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and six bells dated 1785. There some ancient monuments to the Fulford family who h ave held property here from the time of Richard I, and several other stained windows, one in the Fulford pew to the late B. Fulford Esq. and another in the chancel, erected in 1880 to Lieut. E H Arden, son of the late vicar. A lancet window was erected by W H Kelland Esq., during his lifetime to the Rev, George Arden, vicar 1866 - 1888 who died in 1890.

 

The Fulford family pew in Dunsford church

The Fulford family pew in St Mary's church, Dunsford

©Richard J Brine

 

The stained east window is early English; the pulpit and reading desk are of carved and polished oak; the font is Perpendicular and bears shields of the Lacy, Fulford, Courtenay, Fitzourse and Bosan families, illustrating various alliances of the Fulfords. An ancient helmet, said to date from the time of Richard III remains in the church which has 200 sittings. The church plate consists of a silver flagon dated 1790, a silver alms basin of 1663, a silver-mounted earthenware flagon from 1576, 2 silver chalices and a silver paten and spoon.

 

The registers of marriages and burials dated from 1594 and of baptisms from 1597. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £250, with residence and 7 acres of glebe in the gift of Francis Drummond Fulford Esq.,and held since 1888 by the Rev. Henry Edmund DuMaine Tickell BA of Wadham College, Oxford. Here is a Baptist Chapel.

 

A Cattle Fair is held yearly on the Monday after September 8th. The Poor's Lands produce about £35 yearly. Clifford Barton, the original seat of the Lords Clifford, is the property of the Rev. G T M Mossiter-Terry Ma, vicar of Payhembury. Great Fulford, the property and residence of Francis Drummond Fulford, DL; JP, is a fine old mansion, built by Sir John Fulford, Knight Sheriff of Devon, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth and is delightfully situated in grounds of about 8 acres, two miles north west from the village. In the parliamentary War, it was garrisoned for the King by Colonel Sir Francis Fulford but surrendered to Fairfax in December 1645. In the park are still to be seen the redoubts cast up by the troops.

 

Great Fulford, Dunsford, in 1826

Great Fulford 1826

After an aquatint by John Gendall. Courtesy of Devon County Council

 

Little Dunsford was for generations the property of the Servingtons but it now belongs to the West of England Insurance Company. The manor of Halstow belongs to the priest-vicars of Exeter Cathedral, and that of Cotley to King's College, Cambridge.  Francis Drummond Fulford is lord of the manor of Dunsford; Colonel the Right Hon. Sir W H Walrond bart, PC, MP of Bradfield, Edward C A Byrom Esq., of Culver, near Exeter, the Rev. G T M Messiter-Terry Ma, vicar of Payhembury, Richard William berry Esq., and Joseph Hellier Esq., are the chief landowners. The soil is clayey, subsoil, clay and red rock. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 6023 acres of land and 19 of water, rateable value £4430. The population in 1901 was 633.

SEXTON: John Sercombe

POST : Henry Hearns, Telegraph office open Sundays from 8 to 10 am,.

FIRE BRIGADE: J Hellier, superintendent

SCHOOL BOARD consisting of 5 members. the Rev. H F Du Maine Tickell BA, acts as Honorary Clerk to the Board.

BOARD SCHOOL (mixed) built in 1872 at a cost of £500 for 114 children; average attendance 105. James Potter Master.

CARRIER TO EXETER: John Evans - Tuesday and Friday.

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Berry, Richard William

Fenwick, Charles, East Hill House

Fulford, Francis Algernon, JP, Great Fulford

Fulford, Francis Drummond, DL; JP, Great Fulford

Hearn, Cecil George

Tickell, Rev. Henry Edmiund Du Maine BA, The Vicarage

COMMERCIAL

Baker, William, farmer, Mount Boon

Berry, Richard William, farmer & landowner, Brook and Pool Farms

Bond, Sarah (Miss), baker

Chaffe, John, farmer, Bigport Farm

Dicker, George, farmer, Holeland

Evans, John, carrier, Bigport Farm

Fenwick, Charles, LRCP & S. Edin, physician & surgeon etc, East Hill House

Gray, Thomas, farmer, South Halstow

Hamlin, William, farmer, Langley

Hearn, Cecil George, MRCVS, veterinary surgeon

Hearn, Henry, veterinary surgeon, farmer & Post Office

Hellier, Joseph, auctioneer, surveyor & valuer, Dunsford Mill

Helson, John, edge tool maker

Homan, John, wheelwright

Hookway, William, farmer, Gillwell

Hutchings, James, farmer, Moor

Kingdon, John, farmer, Sowton Barton.

Knott, Benjamin, farmer, Storridge

Milford, George, shoe maker

Palk, William, shopkeeper

Parr, James, bootmaker

Penhale, Richard, baker, Dunsford Mill

Phillips, John (executors of), farmers, Townsend & West Upperton

Saunders, William, farmer, Goatlake

Sercombe, George, Royal Oak Public House & grocer

Sercombe, John Gregory, carpenter

Sercombe John, farmer, Higher Cotley

Seward William Esworthy, farmer, Berry Barton

Seward, William, farmer, Meadhay & Coombe

Shears, John, farmer, Burnwell

Short, Frank, farmer, Boyland

Short, James, farmer, Clifford Barton & West Coombe

Short, John Taverner, farmer, Cotley

Short, Richard, tailor

Smallridge, Henry, blacksmith

Smallridge, Mark, miller (water), Sowton

Smallridge, Sarah Ann ( Mrs) New Inn

Taverener, Herbert Francis and William, farmers, Green Lane

Taverner, Job, farmer & landowner, West Down

Taverner, Sidney, farmer, Zeal

Watts, William, thatcher

Wills, George, jun, farmer, Farrants

Wills, George farmer & landowner, Lewis Hill

Wills, George Preston, farmer, Corridge

Wills, Joseph Thomas, farmer, Collabridge

Wills, Walter & Henry, farmers, Westland

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page