^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

EAST OGWELL IN KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF 1893

 

The ancient font in St Bartholomew's Church

The ancient font in St Bartholomew's Church

© Richard J Brine

 

East Ogwell is a parish 2 miles South-west from Newton Abbot station on the South Devon section of the Great Western Railway, in the Mid-Division of the county, Wonford Hundred, Teignbridge petty sessional division, Newton Abbot Union, Newton Abbot and Torquay county court district, rural deanery of Moreton, archdeaconry of Totnes and diocese of Exeter.

 

The church of St Bartholomew is a building of stone, of mixed styles and various dates, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells. An unconsecrated  south aisle or transept, built by the family of Reynell over their vault is called the "Golgatha"; there are some ancient gravestones in the pavement and several monuments to the Reynell family; there is an early font and some remains of a screen, and on the piers are the arms of the Holbeame family. There are some 400 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1674; marriages from 1675. The living is a rectory, united to that of West Ogwell, average tithe rent charge £270. joint gross yearly value £345, including 26 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Daniel Robert Scrattton Esq. and held since 1845 by the Rev, Fitzwilliam John Taylor BA of Christ Church, Oxford, who is also rector of Haccombe.

 

There are charities of £12 15s yearly value, including the rent of 4 acres of land left by Sir Richard Reynell in 1735 and devoted to school purposes.

 

In the parish is a quarry of Madrepore marble. Bradley Vale, one side of which is in East Ogwell, is a beautiful spot, often visited by lovers of fine scenery. Daniel Robert Scratton Esq JP; DL, of Ogwell House, West Ogwell, is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is chiefly light red loam; the subsoil is chiefly limestone but there are also small slate or skillett and some dunstone. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 1360 acres; rateable value £2066. The population in 1891 was 271.

 

Holbeam is a small hamlet 1½ miles north-west. In 1885, Rydon, a detached part of Wolborough, was amalgamated with this parish.

 

Parish Clerk: George Matthews

 

POST OFFICE: Lewis Edward Stidworthy, sub-postmaster.

 

Letters through Newton Abbot, which is nearest money order and telegraph office, arrive at 6.50 am and are dispatched at 6 pm, Sundays 11.30am. Postal Orders are issued here but not paid.

 

A School Board was formed her in 1886 for the united districts of East & West Ogwell; D. R. Scratton of Ogwell House is clerk to the Board.

Board School (mixed) erected by D. R. Scratton Esq. JP in 1874 at a cost of £700 for 80 children; average attendance 63. Miss Mary Kenwood, mistress.

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Drew, Frederick Codner, Westwoods

Phillips, Adrian, Under Cleave

Taylor, Rev. Fitzwilliam John, BA, The Rectory

Webber, William, Rydon

COMMERCIAL

Blackler, W A & Son, quarry owners

Ellilcott, Richard John, farmer & wheelwright

Ellis, George Frederick, farmer, Holbeam

Hopkins, George, farmer, Manor Farm

Jermond, Elizabeth (Mrs.), miller (water), Ogwell Mills

Loder, John, edge tool maker, Holbeam

Luscombe, Thomas, farmer, Wetheredge

Perryman, William, The Jolly Sailor public house

Ridholls, Charles, farmer, Wetheredge

Shears, Francis, farmer, Buttercombe

Smerdon, John, farmer, Stubbins

Stidworthy, Lewis Edward, grocer, baker & farmer, Post Office

Webber, John, farmer, Rydon Farm

Webber, Kewis, builder, mason and undertaker

Webber, William. mason

Wills, Charles, farmer, Tor Farm

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page