^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

EAST PUTFORD IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1878

 

East Putford, a parish and small village in the Torridge valley, 9½ miles WSW of great Torrington, is in the Bideford Union, county court district and petty sessional division, Northern division of the county, Shebbear Hundred, Barnstaple archdeaconry and Holsworthy rural deanery. It had 157 inhabitants (85 males, 72 females) in 1871, living in 31 houses on 2380 acres of land.

 

The Hon. Mark Rolle is  owner of most of the soil, but part belongs to Arthur Dayman Esq and a few smaller freeholders.

 

The church consists of nave, chancel, north transept and wooden belfry containing two bells. The church was restored in 1871. The living is a vicarage valued at £55, and annexed to West Putford. There is a impropriate rent-charge of £65.  The children attend the Board School at West Putford.

 

Post from Brandis Court which is the nearest Money Order Office.

 

RESIDENTS

Bines, Miss Elizabeth Ann, National School Mistress

Elliott, John, blacksmith & wheelwright

Ellis, George, Holbeam

Gale, William, cart owner

Heath, William, shopkeeper & cow keeper

Luscombe, Thomas, farmer & victualler, The Jolly Sailor

Luscombe, Thomas, jun. farmer, Stubbings

Merton, Captain, Westwoods

Shears, Francis, farmer, Butticombe

Steer, Edmund, farmer, Witheridge

Stidworthy, Lewis Edward, baker & shopkeeper

Taylor, Rev. Fitzwilliam John, BA, Rector, The Rectory

Vooght, Joseph, farmer, Tor Farm

Whiteway, William, farmer, Manor Farm

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page