^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

EGGESFORD IN KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF 1923

 

Eggesford House seen from Eggesford Church - 2003

Eggesford House seen from Eggesford Church - 2003

©Richard J. Brine

 

Eggesford is a parish on the river Taw and in Taw vale, with a station (in Chawleigh parish) on the north Devon branch of the Southern (late London and South Western) railway, and is 3 miles south-west from Chulmleigh, 12 north-west from Crediton, and 193½ from London, in the South Molton division of the county, North Tawton hundred, South Molton petty sessional division, union and county court district of Crediton, rural deanery of Chulmleigh, archdeaconry of Barnstaple and diocese of Exeter.

 

The church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone in mixed styles, consisting of a chancel, nave, north aisle, north porch, and an embattled western tower containing 3 b ells. In the church are two elaborate and superb marble monuments of the 17th century, to the Chichesters and to the families of Fellowes and Wallop, Earls of Portsmouth. The church was restored in 1867 by the Earl of Portsmouth at a cost of £1000 and has 150 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1592; that of the marriages from 1586. The living is a rectory annexed to that of Wembworthy, joint net yearly value £502, including 11 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Countess of Portsmouth, who has two turns, and the Bishop of Exeter and Captain L. G. Cruwys, JP, who have one turn each, and held since 1920 by the Rev. Charles Ernest Treadwell who resides at Wembworthy. There is a charity of £30, left by the Rev. John Churchill, the interest of which is paid to the poor. The trustees are the Rector and a local committee appointed by the Charity Commissioners.

 

A market is held at the Fox and Hounds hotel, near the railway station, on the second Wednesday in every month. The land is chiefly owned by the farmers. The soil is dunland; the subsoil is stony. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1320 acres of land and 9 of water; rateable value £661. The populaion in 1911 was 104.

 

Letters through Wembworthy which is the nearest money order office.

There is a telegraph office at the railway station.

The children of this parish attend Wembworthy & Eggesford School in Wembworthy.

RAILWAY STATION: Percy Townsend, Station Master.

 

RESIDENTS

 

PRIVATE

Hartnell, Sir Henry Sulivan (sic), The Old Glebe House

 

COMMERCIAL

 

Bartlett, Bayliss & Co. Ltd, timber merchants

Cockram, John, mason

Lloyds Bank Ltd (Fox &Hounds branch) attends on Market days

National Provincial & Union Bank ( at Fox & Hounds) open Market days

Robins, Herbert Victor, farmer, Kitchanton

Skinner, Fred Lewis, farmer, Trenchard

Stevens, Richards Henry, Farmer, Barton Farm

Vicary, John, farmer, Hayne

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page