From Exeter's Express and Echo
11 January 1917
WAR SHRINE DEDICATED AT ST. OLAVE'S CHURCH
FIRST IN EXETER
The first war shrine to be erected in Exeter, and, it is believed the second in Devon, was dedicated at St. Olave's Church yesterday by the Lord Bishop of Crediton (Canon Trefusis).
The idea of providing a shrine originated with the respected rector of the parish, Rev. E. C. Long, who had seen many on the continent, and had been impressed by their usefulness to people who used them devotionally. His parishioners generously supported the project and a disused and blocked-up doorway in the south wall of the church, immediately abutting to the main street, provided a very convenient site. It is hoped to be able to erect a number of other shrines in the streets of the parish.
There are over a hundred names on the St. Olave Roll of Honour which is confined to parishioners who are worshippers at the church. Of these, eight have given their lives. The shrine itself is a beautiful piece of work. The old doorway is filled in with fumed English oak, heavily moulded round the ridge at the top. There is a full-length cross of wainscot oak, with Calvary steps, the whole surmounted with a piece of black English oak cut from a beam over 500 years old, and bearing an oxidised crucifix. "Pray for the men of St. Olave's" is the inscription in gold letters. A shelf is provided for flowers. The Roll of Honour is contained in two frames, one being for the fallen*.
(The account then continues with details of the Dedication Service and the address given by the Bishop of Crediton whose sons Arthur and Haworth were both killed in 1916.)
(These elements were changed when the Shrine was converted into a War Memorial and both panels now contain the names of those who died.)