^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

FARRINGDON IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

"Farringdon is a small, scattered village, 6 miles E by S of Exeter, which has in its parish 1977 acres of land and 381 souls, of whom 71 are in Clist Sachveille which is mostly in Sowton Parish.  At the time of the Domesday survey, Farringdon was held by Folcher Archibalistarius, or the Chief Bow Bearer, and it was afterwards held for a long period by a family of its own name.

The manors of Farringdon and Bishop's Clist now belong to John Garratt Esq. of Bishop's Court, but W. Cannop Esq. occupies Farringdon House, a large cemented mansion with a handsome front, standing in  a small park and commanding extensive views of the surrounding country.

 

Bishop's Court is on the east side of the river Clist. The parish is bounded on the east by the hills which separate it from the Otter Valley.

 

Bishops Court
Bishops Court - a well-known wedding venue

 

"The estate called Crowley or Creely was formerly held by St James's Priory, of Exeter but is now the property of King's College, Cambridge. The church has a tower and one bell, and the living is a rectory. The Bishop of Exeter is a patron and the Rev, C, H, Collyns DD is the incumbent  and has a handsome residence and about 60 acres of glebe. There was a chapel for 12 poor infirm clergymen. They were supressed by Edward VI and their revenues were given to the priest vicars of Exeter by Queen Elizabeth. 

Farringdon has £3 a year for schooling poor children from Weare's Charity. The schoolmaster has also the interest of £56 left by Walter Wotton in 1790 and the poor have the interest of £20 left by John Hornbrook. The schoolmaster's house was purchased about 1710, by subscription, together with £40 left by Walter Wotton.

 

Farringdon Church

Farringdon Church, dedicated to St Petrock and St. Barnabas. Completely rebuilt in the 19th century.

©Richard J. Brine

 

RESIDENTS

James Burgoin, Land agent and victualler.

James Langdon Butter, brick and tile maker, Little Grindle

Woodham Cannop Esq, Farringdon House

John Canterbury, parish clerk

Rev. Charles Henry Collyns, DD, The Rectory

Thomas Culverwell, joiner

William Fewins, schoolmaster

John Garratt, Esq, - Bishop's Court

Henry Horn, Manager of the Brick & Tile Yard

William Mildon

Wiolliam Salter, sexton

James Smeath, wheelwright

Benjamin Tucker, shoemaker and shopkeeper

Charles Wyatt, butcher

BLACKSMITHS

Joseph Dean

Joseph Skinner

William Smith

FARMERS

Samuel Bickley, UPham

John Farrant

Robert Froom

Henry Hayman

John Hook

George Lane

Abraham Matthews

Philip S. Pearce

John Reynolds

James Sanders, Benbow

Joseph Sanders

Henry Stokes

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page