^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

HOLCOMBE BURNELL AND LONGDOWN IN KELLY 1939

 

Holcombe Burnell is a parish in the Tiverton Division of the County, Wonford  hundred and petty sessional, St Thomas rural district, the county court district of Exeter, rural deanery of Kenn and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter. The village is on the the main road from Exeter to Moretonhampstead and has a station at Longdown, 1 mile distant, on the Exeter and Heathfield branch of the Great Western railway 3¼ miles west from Exeter. Electricity  is available.

 

The church of St John the Baptist is a building of stone in the Norman and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south  porch and an embattled western tower containing 4 bells. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1657, that of marriages from 1803. the living is a vicarage with a net yearly income of £300, including 3 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Exeter, and held since 1936 by the Rev. Eric Herschell Athey.

 

A parish hall was built in 1921 to seat 150 persons. A granite cross was erected at Longdown in 1921 in memory of the ten men of the parish who fell in the Great War , 1914 - 1918. Culver House, the residence of Lt-Col Alan George Eden, is delightfully seated in a valley and approached by a carriage drive; the house, erected in 1836, is in the Elizabethan style and is built with  stone from the Pocombe Quarries, with facings of Beer stone. Lt-Col is the principal landowner. The soil is clayey; the subsoil, schistous.  The chief crops are oats and root crops. The are is 1853 acres. The population in 1931 was 165.

 

HOLCOMBE BURNELL PRIVATE RESIDENTS

 

Atkey: Rev. Eric Herschell, Vicarage

Cornwall: Right Hon. Sir Edwin, Bart  Holcombe Barton

Eden : Lt-Col Alan George, Culver House

Kane:  Mrs E.D., Bryntiron

Michelmore: Henry Theodore J.P Haresdown

Holcombe Burnell Barton

Holcombe Burnell Barton (see above)

COMMERCIAL

Andrew:  Thomas O. Farmer, Beacon Down

Arscott: William, Farmer, Kingsford

Brimecombe Brothers; Farmers, Rug House farm

Crows Nest Guest House (Mrs Barrons)

Hannaford Brothers; Farmers, Higher Pitt Farm

Lambell, Frederick Thomas, Farmer, Clove

Ponsford: William, Farmer, Ford, Longdown

Rayment: A.F & Son. farmers. Bilsdon Farm

Smale: Henry geroge, Farmer, Hill Farm

Snell: Samuel, farmer, Nogsland

Taylor: Walter George, farmer, Downhouse farm

LONGDOWN PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Perriam; Thomas John, Redgate

COMMERCIAL

Baker, Percy, Post Office and Blacksmith

Lamb Inn (William Charles Raddon) Main Road

Milford brothers, Tailors

Raddon, Alice,Refreshments, camping, garage etc. Lamb Inn.

Raddon, William, service station, car hire etc Lamb Inn

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page