^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

IDE - ENTRY IN KELLY'S DIRECTORY FOR 1919

Ide is a parish and village, pleasantly seated in a sheltered valley on the small river Alphin, with a station on the Exeter and Heathfield branch of the Great Western railway, and is 2 miles south-west from Exeter, in the Tiverton division of the county, Exminster Hundred, Wonford petty sessional division, St.Thomas union, county court district of Exeter, rural deanery of Kenn, and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter. The Church of St. Ida is a plain cemented structure in the Decorated style, consisting of a chancel, nave south porch and a western tower containing 6 bells, cast in 1880 in place of a former peal of 4, dating from 1693 to 1720 but in part useless: the church was rebuilt in 1834 at a cost of about £1200, when the 15th century rood screen was removed and has since been lost: a new screen was erected in 1909; the church has 530 sittings.

The register dates from the year 1653. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £280, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, and held since 1918 by the Rev. Harold Wake Millett, M.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford.

The Congregational Chapel, erected in 1883 on a site given by J. C. Webber Esq. is a building of stone. The charities are of the yearly value of £5. Pole House is now the residence of Miss E. H. Whishaw. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who are the lords of the manor, William Paul Studholme esq. and John Tuckett esq. are the chief landowners. The soil is clayey and sandy; the sub-soil is red sandstone. There are several good farms in this parish, considered to be well-cultivated, excellent crops of wheat being produced. The area is 1,712 acres; rateable value £3,128; the population in 1911 was 647 in the civil and 626 in the ecclesiastical parish.

By Local Government Board Order 16,545 which came into operation March 24, 1884, a detached part of Exminster, known as Knowle, and a detached part of Kenn, known as Perridge, were amalgamated with this parish for Civil purposes.

Sexton: John Counter

Post, M.O & T Office: Mrs. Mary Ann Snow Hardy, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Exeter by mail to Alphington and from thence by foot.

Wall boxes: Ide and Cummery

Public Elementary School (mixed), erected in 1860 & enlarged in 1900 for 200 children; William Ashton Jewell, master.

The school is controlled by six managers; Ernest W. Budge, Rosemont, correspondent.

Police Station, Thomas Philips, constable.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Badcock, Misses, The Cottage

Bowden, Mrs. Carpenters

Dryer, Mrs, Shorts

Graddon, Mrs. Poplars

Lake, Joseph, Primrose Cottage

Martin, Misses, Earle's Court

Millett, Rev. Harold Wake M.A (vicar) Vicarage

Perkins, Mrs. Verandah Cottage

Rudge, Ernest W, Rosemont

Sharp, Major Frank William A.V.C;D.S.O, Beardens

Shell, Mrs., Carpenters

Smith, William, Albert's Cottage

Studholme, William Paul, Perridge House

Thornton, Clifford, Spring Side

Tuckett, John, Marshall

Whitely, Arthur, The Nook

COMMERCIAL

Braddon, Henry, farmer, Cann's Farm

Bragg, H (Mrs), farmer, Whiddon

Courtney, John, grocer,

Cox, William, baker and grocer

Fouracre, Helen (Mrs), midwife, Wree's Cottage

Gilpin, Frederick Charles, butcher

Hardy, William, mason, Post Office

Jewell, William Ashton, assistant overseer & clerk to the Parish Council

Leyman, Jane (Mrs), Bridge Inn

Love, Edwin Henry, grocer

Pitts, William, mason

Richards, Sidney Albert, Huntsman Inn

Richards, Thomas Edwin, farmer, Drakes

Spicer, Louis, joiner

Thomas, Fred, farmer, West Town Farm

Tuckett, John, farmer and landowner, Marshall

Voysey, Henry, market gardener

Western, Richard D, baker

Wilkes, Harriet (Mrs), Railway Inn

Wright, Henry, haulier, Malpas Cottage

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page