(See articles on Miss Tuke's school under CHULMLEIGH)
In the mid 1880s, Clara Tuke made an astute business decision and moved her school from Chulmleigh to Ilfracombe, then a very up and coming resort. She took a lease on a large house in Torr's Park, the smartest part of the town, overlooking glorious sea views and she advertised the healthy benefits of her school as well as expanding the curriculum to include subjects such as French and German. She employed visiting teachers so not only did she attract more boarders, she provided the town with a properly-run day and boarding school offering a serious education to its girls - the Ilfracombe Ladies' College, later to be known as the Adelaide Ladies' College. This school, destined to be Ilfracombe's last private school, finally closed in 1964 when flats were built on the site.
Clara Tuke's business acumen paid off and by 1900, she was able to retire on an annuity of her own, which enabled her to live in comfort on the edge of Dartmoor at Moretonhampstead. Her school successfully continued in other hands for many years after her departure from Ilfracombe.