^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

INSTOW RESIDENTS LISTED IN BILLING'S DIRECTORY OF DEVON 1857

Use the scroll bar to view the complete page

 

"Instow is a village and a parish about 5¼ miles from Barnstaple and 3 from Bideford, containing 1916 acres of land, including water area. the population in 1851 was 626 souls. The number of voters in 1857 was 21.

Instow, corruptly so-called (says Risdon) for JOHNSTOW, of its dedication for St. John, is situated at the confluence of the rivers Taw and Torridge, immediately opposite the town of Appledore, and is divided in two parts; the Vicarage and a few cottages near the Church; but the chief part is at the banks of the river, and known as the Quay. It is a pretty and agreeable watering-place, facing the Channel, and is much resorted to by visitors during the summer season. There is a station of the Bideford Extension Railway.

The Church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient edifice in the perpendicular style of architecture, with a square tower containing three bells. the living is a rectory valued in the King's Books at £12 17s 3½d in the incumbency if the Revd. Arthur F. Lloyd, MA; Mr. John Skinner, Clerk. The Wesleyans have a small Chapel at the upper side of the Quay but no regular Minister.

The National School is situated between the Church and the Vicarage, and is supported by contributions and payments of the children. A new house, at the time our information was taken, was in the course of erection, as a residence for the Mistress. Number of scholars, 50. Mrs. M. A. Nations, Mistress.

There is a small mixed school, kept in a room under the Wesleyan Chapel. Number of children, 25. Miss Roberts, Mistress."

 

Instow Quay

Instow Quay

Looking towards Appledore

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Bradstock, Rev. Roland Thomas, Victoria Terrace

Grace, Mr. Robert W

Hancock, James, Esq.

How, Mrs, Rose Cottage

Kitson, Mr. Henry

Lloyd, Rev. Arthur F, Rector, Rectory

Mallett, Mr. John, Marionette Cottage

Mogridge, Mrs. Richard

Nemherd, Mr. Thomas H

Nott, Miss

Palmer, Mrs, Strandfield

Puckford, Captain James, RN, Bar View House

Shoobridge, Revd. Samuel, Worlington House

Stevens, Capt. Royal Marines

Torr, Mr. Henry, River View

White, Lieutenant Robert, RN

Young, William Esq., magistrate, Bath Terrace

COMMERCIAL

Acland, Thomas, carpenter

Bale, James. farmer, Day-a-peep

Bale, John, butcher/farmer, Woodville Cottage

Beer, George, lodging house keeper/ post master

Bellew, John, farmer, Orchard

Body, John beer retailer, Sailor's Inn

Carter, John, farmer., Bigleton

David, Fanny, lodging house keeper

Dean, William, tailor

Edmonds, Miss P, lodging house keeper

Galliver, Robert, boot and shoemaker

Gouran, Robert, farmer

Hancock, John, farmer, Fullingcot

Harris, John, Shopkeeper

Hookway, Samuel, farmer, South Yeo

How, Mrs., farmer

Joslin, John & James, farmers, Huish

Lock, George farmer, Instow Barton

Lock, Thomas, steward, Venn House

Martin, Grace, lodging house keeper

Mills, William, lodging house keeper

Moase, Christopher, coal merchant

Nation, William, butcher

Parkhouse, Henry, boot and shoe maker

Parkhouse, William, lodging house keeper

Parramore, Thomas, Marine Family Hotel and Posting House

Pidler, Alexander, draper and shopkeeper

Pidler, Alexander, butcher

Pidler, John, mason

Priscott, William, blacksmith

Rose, Thomas, station master

Row and Elfe, Mesdames, boarding and day school

Saunders, Frank, lodging house keeper

Skinner, Benjamin, The Hotel, family and Posting house

Sweet, Eliza Ann, shopkeeper

Vanstone, Stephen, farmer, Davies & Fishley

Ward, Miss E, boarding and day school

White, Richard, Collector of Customs

Widdicombe, John, lodging house keeper

Winch, Gertrude, shopkeeper

Winch, William, builder, Victoria Terrace

Young, William, bath proprietor

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page