^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

IPPLEPEN IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

Ipplepen Church in 1825

A sketch of Ipplepen Church believed to date from 1825

Courtesy of Devon County Council

 

Ipplepen, a large village, on a pleasant declivity 3½ miles S by W of Newton Abbot, and 4½ miles N.N.E of Totnes, gives its  name to a large deanery, and has in its parish 966 inhabitants, and 3070 acres of fertile land, including the hamlets of Daignton, Combe Fishacre, Asstor and Castleford. It had a grant for a market and fair in 1317, but both have been obsolete for centuries. The manor was given by William the Conqueror to Ralph de Fulgerus, and one of the descendants gave it to the Abbey of St. Peter at Fulgers, which had a cell here. In 1658, the manor was sold in parcels to the landowners by Sir John Pettus. The Rev. N. Brooking, John Shepherd Esq.,and James Neale, Esq., are now the principal proprietors, and there are several smaller owners.

 

The parish has some fine rocky scenery and several subterraneous rivulets, in the small valley called Stony Coombs. Having been seized by the Crown from the alien Abbey of St. Peter, the rectorial glebe and tithes of Ipplepen and Woodland were given to the College of St. Mary Ottery, and at the dissolution they were given, with the advowson of the vicarage, to the Dean and Canons of Windsor, of whom they are now held in lease by the Rev. N. Brooking, who resides at Rectory House and is also incumbent of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £26. 2s. 3îd and in 1839 at £119. The Vicarage House was repaired in 1849 and is occupied by Mr. Snape, and the tithes were commuted in 1838. The Church (St. John the Baptist) is a large antique fabric, with a tower and six bells. It stands on an eminence at the head of the village, and contains a finely carved old screen and pulpit. Here is a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1826, and another small chapel is used jointly by Baptists and Independents. The poor parishioners have 20s a year left by John Peter out of the great tithes of Cornworthy, and an annuity of 6s 8d left by Richard Kelly, as noticed with Brixham.

RESIDENTS

Adams, Ann, victualler, Wellington Inn

Adams, Edmund, parish clerk

Adams, Thomas, carpenter

Adams, William, Plough Inn

Bishop, John, auctioneer & surveyor, Combe Fishacre

Bowden, Jane, milliner

Bowden, John, merchant, Park Hill

Brooking, Mrs. Charlotte, Church Park Cottage

Brooking, Rev. Nicholas, Rectory

Buller, Mr.William, Templer

Calley, Thomas, gent.

Drake, Misses

Elliott, Thomas, corn miller

Fletcher, Elizabeth, National School

Hellyer, James, master mariner

Hugo, Walter, Esq., North End House

Lee, Joseph. travelling tea dealer

Luscombe, Thomas, gent

Mather, Mr. William, Daignton

Shepherd, John, Esq., Combe Fishacre

Snape, Mr. Joseph, Vicarage

Wainwright, Miss Hannah

Wills, William, surgeon ( and Totnes)

FARMERS

Berry, Jeffery, Shepherds Farm, Combe Fishacre

Bishop, John, Norman Farm, Combe Fishacre

Bovey, Thomas, Langs Farm

Bushell, John, Castleford

Easterbrook, Thomas, Village

Elliott, John, Castleford

Fetherbridge,Thomas, Asstor,

Fletcher, John, Pinsents

Harris, George, Newhouse Farm

Hunt, Richard, Daignton

Lambshead, Samuel, Metherells

Luscombe, John, Village

Morgan, Amos, Castleford

Moyse, Nicholas, Combe Fishacre

Neale, James, Ambrook

Palk, Richard, Shepherd's Cottage

Palk, Edward, Combe Fishacre

Smerdon, Hugh, Village

Smerdon, Robert, Castleford Farm

Sowton, John, Babbages Farm

Sowton, Richard, Danafield

Symons, Edward, Bully Barton

Wills, Charles, Village

Yelland, William, Village

BAKERS

Adams, John

Vickery, Robert

BLACKSMITHS

Ager, Richard, (& beerhouse)

Ager, William

Langler, James ( & wheelwright)

Maddicott, James

BUTCHERS

Bovey, Thomas

Yelland, Joseph

MASONS

Bovey, Thomas

Winsor, Henry

SHOPKEEPERS

Bovey, Ann

Bovey, Elinor

Emmett, John

Smith, Richard

Smith, Robert

Yelland, Joseph

TAILORS

Cload, William

Lee, William

POST OFFICE at Ann Bovey's

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page