^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

LEW TRENCHARD IN KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF 1939

 

Lewtrenchard is a parish 2¾ miles north from Coryton station on the Launceston branch of the Great Western Railway, 9 north from Tavistock and 8 east from Launceston, in the Tavistock division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Lifton, rural district, county court district and rural deanery of Tavistock, archdeaconry of Plymouth and diocese of Exeter; it includes the greater part of Lewdown, a small village on the high road between Launceston and Okehampton, and is bounded on the east by Lew Water. Electricity is available in the greater portion of the parish.

 

The church of St Peter is a building in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 6 bells, of which the first and fourth date from 1812; three others are dated respectively 1769, 1758 and 1804. All the windows are stained and there are ancient oak benches with finely carved ends. The ancient screen was destroyed in 1833 but a new screen was provided in 1899 and a new pulpit built in 1900. The church contains numerous monuments to the Gould family. There are 100 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from dates from the year 1706, that of burials from 1714, that of marriages from 1713 - but part of this is lost, from 1756 to 1813.

 

The living is a rectory, with the chapelry of Thrushelton annexed - joint net yearly value £470, including 1½ acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Edward Sabine Baring-Gould, Esq/. and held since 1924 by the Rev. Gilbert Harris-Arundell BA of Balliol Colege, Oxford. An auction is held at Lewdown, 1 mile north of the church, for farm stock, on the second Monday of every month.

 

Lew House, the manor house and seat of the Gould family now (in 1939) unoccupied, is an interesting mansion dating from before the year 1625, when the property came into the possession of that family. It contains some finely carved oak chimney pieces, antique pictures and good pictures. Coombe Trenchard is a fine mansion, erected by and the residence of Henry Maitland Sperling Esq. JP.

 

At Lew Mill is a curious prehistoric monolith about 16 feet high. At Slayers Hill is a circular British Camp where traces of Bronze Age Celts have been found. A granite cross was erected in the square in Lew Down by the parishioners of the four parishes which surround it, in memory  of  the men who fell in the Great War, 1914 - 1918.

 

Major Edward Sabine Baring-Gould OBE is lord of the manor and the principal landowner. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and limestone. The parish contains 2230 acres of land and 8 of water. The population in 1931 was 216 in the civil parish and 486 in the ecclesiastical parish.

 

By Local Government Board Order, Wortham, Orchard and Kilson were transferred to Thrushelton on March 22 1885.

 

POST OFFICE: Letters through Lewdown, the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office,

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS - LEWTRENCHARD

Arundell, Rev. Gilbert Harris, The Ramps

Morland, C B S A, The Dower House

McNair, Arthur W, CSL; OBE, Brentor View

Robertson, Lt-Commander George Robert May, RN, The Rectory House

Sperling, Henry Maitland, JP, Coombe Trenchard

COMMERCIAL - LEWTRENCHARD

Allen, John & Son, shopkeepers

Daw, Mary (Mrs), farmer, Quarry

Hill, John, farmer, Galford

Martin Bros, farmers, Warson

Perkins, James, miller (water), Lew Mill

Rice, Ewary Sidney, farmer, Beechcombe

Westington, William, farmer

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS - LEWDOWN

Forsayeth, Richard Martin, MRCS; LRCP, High Trees

COMMERCIAL - LEWDOWN

Blue Lion Hotel, proprietor Charles Henry Crane

Davy, Charles, carpenter, Cross Roads

Forsayeth, Richard Martin, MRCS; LRCP,Physician and Surgeon

Hoskin, George, farmer, Holdstrong

Lewdown Rest House, proprietor William Gerald Morris

Morris, William Gerald, civil engineer, LewDown Rest House

Piper, George, grocer

Piper, Sydney, boot repairer

Roberts, John Richard, blacksmith

Village Club & Reading Room, Thomas Spry, Secretary

Wood, Albany E, farmer, Woods

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page