^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

LYMPSTONE RESIDENTS IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1850

 

Old houses formerly on Strawberry Hill, Lympstone

Old houses on Church Road, Lympstone (now demolished)

Water colour - artist not identified

Courtesy of Devon County Council

 

Lympstone, a pretty village, with several large and handsome houses, is pleasantly situated on the eastern bank of the broad estuary of the river Exe, about 2 miles N by W of Exmouth, and 8 miles S.S.E of Exeter. It has in its parish 999 inhabitants, and 1866 acres of land, including Sowden hamlet, and rises picturesquely from the principal street, which extends on a level near the estuary. Leland describes Lympstone as a "pretty townlet" with a "great trade in shippes", and it is still a very considerable fishing station, having about 60 small fishing boats and large beds of oysters in the estuary, brought there to fatten, from the sea coast near Exmouth.  The village may be considered as a suburb of the watering place of Exmouth, and has many commodious lodgings for the accommodation of visitors, who throng here during the proper season.

 

The manor, anciently called Lenington, was given by Henry I to William, his steward. It afterwards passed to the Damarell, Dinham, Prideaux, Putt and Heathfield families. It passed from the late Lord Heathfield to Sit Thomas F. E. Drake, Bart., its present owner; but a great part of the parish belongs to Captain Wright, Charles Gifford, W. H. Hull, William Spicer, W. H. Peters and Thomas Porter and a few smaller owners.

 

The Church, St. Mary, is a fine old structure, with an embattled tower and five bells. It is said to have been rebuilt in 1409 but the nave, aisles and chancel have undergone many repairs and alterations. It was enlarged in 1830 and the east window embellished with stained glass by the later rector. The beautiful altar piece was given by Mrs. Wyatt, and the organ purchased by subscription in 1845. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £15. 13s 4d, and in 1831 at £300, is in the patronage of Thomas Porter Esq, and incumbency of the Rev. Edmond Strong, MA of Clist St. Mary. The Rectory House, occupied by the Curate, is a neat residence. The glebe is some 12 acres and the tithes were commuted in 1838 for £264 per annum. The Unitarians have a district chapel in the adjoining parish of Woodbury, built in 1774, and a small one at Lympstone built in 1820, but the latter is now let to the Wesleyans. The poor of Lympstone have the dividends of £500, three per cent Consols, left by William Spicer Esq., in 1848. A yearly rent charge of £4 was left in 1727 by Henry Metherell for schooling poor children of this parish. The interest of £20, left by John Egerton in 1730 is paid for the same purpose; as also is £2 13s. 4d. of the yearly dividends of £270, three per cent Consols, left in 1818 by Wakelin Welch, who directed two-thirds of the income to be distributed in blankets among the poor.

 

The National Schools form a neat building, erected in 1823 by the late Mrs. Elizabeth Welch, relict of the last named donor. Mrs Wyatt allows the mistress £24 a year and the boys' school is supported partly by subscription. In 1829, John Denning left the dividends of £100, three per cent Consols, towards the support of the Sunday School.

 

Harefield House,Lympstone, now St Peter's Preparatory School
Harefield, Lympstone

In 1850, this was the home of William Peters Esq. and his family.

In 1882 it became St Peter's Preparatory School which is still going strong.

Courtesy of Devon County Council

 

RESIDENTS

Adney, Captain John

Bennett, Henry B, Metherell's

Burch, James, plumber, painter &c

Burgmann, Lady

Claxton, Mrs, L

Coventon, Mr. William, Underhill

Crespin, Captain Henry, RN

Fley, William, cider merchant

Gardner, William, mason

Hamlin, Thomas, lodging house, Brook Cottage

Harbottle, Thomas R.,Sowden Villa

Harris, John, horse and fly to let

Hawker, Ann, lodgings

Hilliker, Elizabeth, staymaker

James, Rev. William,

Kilner, Mrs. Mary

Langdon, Mary Ann, schoolmistress

Lefevre, Belfield, MD

Lewin, Lady Caroline

Linscott, Thomas, corn miller & maltster, Sowden

Linscott, William, corn miller

Lock, Mrs

Moorshead, Rev. J. A, MA, curate, The Rectory

Newberry, William, traveller

Palmer, James, cooper

Pengilly, Mrs.

Munhall, Miss

Perry Mrs.

Pennell, Philip, sexton

Peters, William Henry Esq, Harefield

Price, Rees Charles, surgeon

Reynolds, Mrs. G

Powell Mrs.

Rider, Edward, druggist, wines & spirits, Norwich Union Agent

Shears, Richard, master mariner

Squire Rev. Edmund (Unitarian) Underhill

Upcott, Charles Haynes, watchmaker

Venman, John , stone mason

Williams, Mrs., Sowden House

Williams, Miss mary Ann

Windover, Edward saddler

Wolland, Samuel Throne, schoolmaster

Wolridge, Captain William, Nutwell

Wright, Captain William Henry and Miss Emily

Wyatt, Mrs, Henrietta, Strawberry Hill

COMMERCIAL

INNS AND TAVERNS

Globe, Mary Ann Voysey

New Inn, John Stanton

Saddler's Arms, Samuel Darby

Swan Inn, William Linscott

BAKERS

Linscott, James

Taylor, Thomas,

Ware, James

BLACKSMITHS

Carter, Francis

Hutchings, John (and wheelwright)

Jackson, Henry

Marshall, William

BOOT & SHOE MAKERS

Carslake, Abraham

Crabb, Samuel

Hawkins, Samuel

Hilliker, James

Lacey, Henry

Quick, Thomas

Pyne, thomas

Saunders, John

Silvester, Frederick

Upcott, John

BUTCHERS

Mitchell, W. F

Till, Edward

CARPENTERS

Coventon, John

Searle, Francis Y

Sivill, John

COAL MERCHANTS

Skinner, James

Widdicombe, Thomas

FARMERS

Bridle, George

Cowd, William

Fley, Richard

Hill, Charles

Linscott, Thomas

Manley, Samuel

Mitchell, William

Neck, John

Ridge, Henry

Stamp, Philip

GROCERS & DRAPERS

Crabb, Richard (and Parish Clerk)

Parsons, John

Searle, Thomas Yarde (and spirit merchant)

SHOPKEEPERS

Blampin, Jonas

Clapp, John

Membury, Samuel

Woodley, Oliver

TAILORS

Cowd, John

Cowd, Philip

Johnson, Robert

Membury, Samuel

TINNERS &c

Edwards, John

Shears, Christopher

POST OFFICE at Richard Crabb's

Letters despatched at 10 in the morning and quarter past 6 evenings

COACHES to Exeter &c daily

CARRIERS to Exeter: C. Denning and J. Wood daily.

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page