^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

 

MAKER IN EYRE'S POST OFFICE DIRECTORY OF 1895

 

Maker is a parish in Cornwall, two miles south west from Devonport, on the opposite shore of Plymouth Sound, in the eastern division of the Hundred of east, the county court district of East Stonehouse, archdeaconry of Bodmin and diocese of Truro.

 

The church of St Mary and St Julian is surmounted vy a tower containing a peal of six  bells. Near the churhc is a well called St julian's Well and the church is by some supposed to have been dedicated to that saint. The living is a vicarage in the gift of the crown. There are various charities and a day scholl at Cremyll for both sexes, which is maintained by the Earl of Mount edgcumbe. On Maker heights are military barracks. The parish of Maker contains two manors - that of the tything of Vaultershome, of which the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe is the lord, and the manor of Millbrook with Lord Clinton for its lord. The magnificant Edgcumbe park os open to the public and admission can be obtained by applying at the manor office at Stonehouse. Two new powerfu batteries have just been erected to protect the entrance to the port, called Raleigh Fort and Hawkins Fort.

 

There is a steam ferry between Admiral's Hard at Stonehouse and Cremyll every hour, fare 1penny each way, and a conveyance on arrival at the ferry to Cawsand.

 

The population of Maker, including Cawsand, Kingsand and Millbrook was, in 1871 3232 and in 1801 3434. Letters via Plymouth.

CHURCH: St Mary and St Julian's - Rev. Edward Williams Evans MA - Vicar; Rev. Frederick Elsmelin MA, Curate.

CHURCH SCHOOL: At Cremyll - Mrs Richards, mistress

 

Maker Church in 2008
Maker Church in 2008

©Richard J. Brine

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

The Right Honorable Earl of Mount Edgcumbe,

Elsmelin, Rev. Frederick, MA, Curate

Evans, Rev. Edward Williams, Vicar

COMMERCIAL

John R. Barnes, the Edgcumbe Arms Hotel, Cremyll

Mrs. Hancock, farmer, Penhale

Marchant, William, ferry superintendent, Cremyll

Marsdhall, John, shopkeeper, Cremyll

Richards, Samuel, gardener, Cremyll

Sandercock, John, land steward, Empacombe* (see below)

Voaden, Thomas, Mount Edgcumbe Farm

Walters, John, refreshment house, Cremyll

Waterman Borthers, yacht & Boat Buiders, Cremyll

 

Empacombe Hamlet c.1890

Empacombe Hamlet c. 1890

Courtesy of Steve Johnson

Empacombe is a tiny hamlet with a small quay situated on the shores of St John's Lake. Boats were launched here on a full tide in times past

 

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page