^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

NEWTON ST. CYRES IN KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF 1923

 

Newton St. Cyres is a parish and village on the road from Exeter to Barnstaple, with a station about half a mile north of the church, on the main line of the Southern (late London and South Western) railway, 4½ miles north-west from Exeter, 3½ south-east from Crediton and 176½ from |London; it is in the South Molton division of the county, Crediton Hundred, Crediton petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Cadbury, and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter.

 

The church of SSCyr and Julitta (mother of St. Cyr) is an ancient building of stone in the Early Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells; the five old bells were all cast in 1733, and the sixth was added in 1908. In the church is a monument to John Northcote Esq. with a full-length effigy standing under a canopy, the right hand grasping a staff and the left resting upon the hilt of a sword. On either side are medallion portraits of his two wives, Elizabeth and Susanna, and underneath are the figures of his son and wife with their three children, all kneeling - the monument is undated. 

 

The Monument to Sir John Northcote

The Monument to John Northcote Esq.

in Newton St Cyres church

©Richard J Brine

 

There are other memorials to the Quicke family, also a memorial  brass to the Rev. John Argyll Welsh Collins BA, vicar 1894 - 1911. A new organ was erected in 1884 at a cost of £120. There is a large memorial window, the gift of the Rev. Charles and Mrs. Quicke, of Ashbrittle, Somerset, in memory of their son, Major Francis Quicke KDG, a likeness of whom is included, and a memorial window in the east end of the north aisle in memory of the men who fell in the Great War, 1914 - 1918.  The church was restored between 1914 and 1921 at a cost of over £2800. There are 250 sittings. The register of baptisms and burial dates from the year 1554, that of marriages from 1555. In 1914, the churchyard was enlarged by the addition of land given by Captain E O St. C Quicke. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value $406 with residence and 15 acres of glebe, in the gift of Captain Noel A G Quicke and held since 1911 by the Rev. Richard Henry Boles of St. John's College, Oxford. The United Methodists have a chapel at *Sweetham.

 

Silver ore was found here in the reign of Queen Ann, and manganese, a rich lode of which has lately been worked. This place afford the title of Viscount to the Northcote family, Earls of Iddesleigh. The Rev, Hugh Downman MD, physician and poet, was born here in 1749 and died at Exeter, 23 September 1809. Newton House is the seat of Captain Noel A G Quicke who is lord of the manor; the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, the Earl of Iddesleigh C.B and William Tuckett Esq. are the chief landowners. The soil is clay and partly red sandstone; the subsoil is schistous. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots.

 

The area is 4416 acres of land and 20 of water; rateable value £6372. The population in 1911 was 677 in the civil parish and 659 in the ecclesiastical parish.

 

PARISH CLERK: William Hutchings

SEXTON: Richard Lendon

POST: Money Orders and telgraph Office - Mrs. Lucy Cork, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive through Exeter.

 

SHERWOOD (Sherwood Priory or Sherwood Villa) which was formerly a parish, 2½ miles from the church, was amalgamated with Newton St Cyres by Local Government Board Order No. 31983. Adrian L Cave is the sole landowner. It is reputed to be extra-parochial for ecclesiastical purposes.

 

PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (mixed) was erected in 1876 for 160 children. Frederick Bellman, Master.

POLICE STATION: Samuel Carnell Rookes, Constable

RAILWAY STATION: Daniel Ashfield, Station Master

Carriers: Discombe & Way passes through to Exeter daily.

 

*To read more about this chapel , read The Chudley family of Newton St Cyres

by John Chudley.

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Boles, Rev. Richard Henry (Vicar), The Vicarage

Cave, Capt. Adrian L, Sherwood Priory

Cleave, Miss, Little Newcombes

Gorwyn, Major Albert John, Fair View

Hawkins, James, Creedy View

Odgers, S. E, Langford

Parsons, William  Hobbs, Bank House, Langford

Quicke, Capt. Noel Arthur Godolphin, Newton House

Quicke, Mrs., Pulleton

Tickett, William, Snake Ash

Ward, John Watts, Oaklands

Werring, Charles, Langford

COMMERCIAL

Alford, Samuel, wheelwright, Sweetham

Ash, Annie (Mrs), dairy, Morelake

Avery, Frank, insurance agent, Sweetham

Batting, Tom, farmer, Woodley Farm

Beedell, Charles E, farmer, Winscott

Berry, William John, farmer, Higher Hayne

Blatchford & Sons, farmers, Creedy Barton

Blatchford, Alfred Henry, farmer, Marsh Mills

Bubear, John, shopkeeper, Exeter Rd

Chudley, George, tailor

Cockram, Albert, farm bailiff to Capt. N A G Quicke

Cole, George, wheelwright, Smallbrook

Courtney, Thomas, smallholder

Dart, Fanny (Mrs.), cowkeeper

Eastmond, John, farmer, Ford & Hill Farms

Greenslade, Walter, market gardener

Hammett, Flora (Mrs), shopkeeper, Pullmans

Hancock, George, shoe maker

Harris, Harry,  Crown and Sceptre Public House

Hawkins, Thomas John market gardener, Langford

Heal, Fred, farmer, Rowhorne

Hewett, John William, farmer, Smallbrook

Hocking, John, farmer, East Holme & West Holme Farms

Hodge, Mark, farmer, Lower Marsh

Kempe, John, Railway Inn

Lendon, Richard, sexton

Lock, William Raymond, dairyman, Bakers

Luxton, Frederick, dairyman, Halses

Mears, William, farmer, Venney Cleave

Page, Richard J, farmer, Marsh Barton

Parker, John, farmer

Partridge, Samuel, market gardener, Smallbrook

Powsland, James, farmer, Bayleigh

Rawle, Lewin, farrier

Rew, Robert May, farmer, Church Hill

Rowe, George Henry, farmer, Cartaway

Salter, Robert, farmer, Norton

Stanbury, Mark, farmer, Bidwell Barton

Tawton, Charle Henry, blacksmith

Tonkin, Reuben, thatcher

Tuckett, John, farmer, Hayne Barton

Walters, James, farmer, Court Barton

Weeks, Frank, shopkeeper

Williams, Thomas William, clerk to the Parish Council & Assistant Overseer

Wyatt, William,Shapley, farmer, Broadgate

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page