Netherexe is a small parish, intersected by the River Exe, 1½ miles north from Stoke Canon Junction station on the bristol and Exeter section of the main line of the Great western railway, and 5½ north from Exeter, in the Tiverton division of the county, hundred of Hayridge, petty sessional division of Wonford, Union of St. Thomas, county court district of Exeter, rural deanery of Aylesbeare and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter.
The church (dedication unknown) is a small but ancient edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a turret containing one bell, cast by John Pennington of Exeter in 1676: there is a handsome font and the church affords sittings for 50 persons. The register of Baptisms dates from 1731; that of burials from 1765; that of marriages from 1773.
The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Rewe, joint net yearly value £368, with 47 acres of glebe, and residence, in the gift of Viscount Hambleden T.D and held since 1917 by the Rev. George Owen Apthorp M.A of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, who resides at Rewe.
The poor have £1 a year, left by Nicholas Warren esq. and £16 left by Miss Hill, and under the will of H. Burroughs esq. who died in 1605, the parish is entitled to send one poor person to Burrough's almshouses at Broadclyst. Col. R. Hill is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is loamy; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 667 acres of land and 18 of water; rateable value, £1, 089; the population in 1911 was 73.
Sexton: John Webber
Letters through Exeter. Stoke Canon 1½ miles distant, is the nearest money order and telegraph office.
The children of this parish attend the school at Rewe.
The chief inhabitants are
John William Alford, farmer, Netherexe Barton
Ernest Edwin Alford, farmer, Netherexe Barton
May Herbert, farmer, Fortescue
John Perkins, dairyman