^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

REWE

IN WHITE'S HISTORY, GAZETTEER AND DIRECTORY OF 1878

 

Rewe, a parish and a scattered village on an eminence 5 miles NNE of Exeter, is in St Thomas Union, Exeter County Court district, Wonford petty sessional division, Exeter Archdeaconry and Aylesbeare rural deanery. It had 287 inhabitants (147 males, 130 females) in 1871, living in 55 houses in 1340 acres. The ancient parish of Rewe consists of Rewe civil parish or township and Up Exe tithing, the latter of which is in Hayridge hundred, nearly two miles from the church,  while the former is in Wonford hundred. Up Exe Tithing had 93 in habitants (48 males and 45 females) in 1871, living in 21 houses. The parish is crossed by the Bristol and Exeter Railway.

 

Before the reign of Edward III, the manor of Rew, or Rewe, was held successively by the Villiers, Sachville, Causebeuf, Blakeford, Picot and Tantifer families. It was afterwards held by the Chiseldons and Wadhams. The Earl of Ilchester is lord of the manor, but part of the parish belongs to Sir T. D. Acland, bart, Charles W. Troyte and a few smaller owners.

 

The Church (St.. Mary) was restored in 1867 at a cost of £1400 and now comprises chancel, nave, north aisle, north transept and tower containing five  bells. It contains a curious old Perpendicular screen. In the chancel is a window enriched with stained glass, representing the Good Shepherd, and inserted in memory of the late Rector, and another depicting the Virgin Mary and St John the Evangelist, in remembrance of General Strangeways RA, who was killed in the Battle of Inkerman; and in the north-east end of the north aisle is a three light window filled with glass depicting the ascension, in memory of the Cuthbertson family. In the chancel are three mural monuments in memory of the Rev. Robert Tripp MA (who was rector of this parish for 42 years and died in 1825) and members of his family; and in this aisle are monuments of the Draper and Cleave families. A large cross stands in the churchyard and has been recently restored. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £22 4s 2d, and in 1838 at £429, in the patronage of the Earl of Ilchester and William Wyndham Esq and incumbency of the Rev. Philip Williams MA; BCL. There is a handsome rectory house built in 1844 at the cost of £2500. The glebe is 48 acres and the tithes were commuted in 1837 for £348 per annum.

 

The National School was built by subscription in 1875 at a cost of £500 and is attended by about 60 children. The poor have two yearly rent-charges of 20s each, left by Emanuel and Nicholas Warren, i n 1696 and 1700, out of the Pale and Millhayes estates. They have also the interest of £50 left by Joseph Steer in 1792. Nicholas Warren left 20s a year to  be laid out in linen cloth. not under 10d a yard, distributed on St. Nicholas-day by the churchwardens and overseers.

POST OFFICE at Mr. Robert Baker's. Letters via Exeter are received at 8.20 am and despatched at 5 pm. Thorverton is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.

 

RESIDENTS

Robert Baker - post master

William Bater( executors of) farmer. Drakes' Farm, Up Exe

James Brook, butcher and Vicualler, Royal Oak

Richard Carthew, farmer and Miller, Up Exe Mill

Richard Chamberlain, farmer, Carpenter's Farm

Robert Cleeve, Farmer, Pale farm, Up Exe

John Coles, cowkeeper

James Hayes, flock mill foreman

Joseph Littlejohn, joiner and parish clerk

Arthur Richard May, Farmer, The Barton

Captain James Torrington Newall, Up Exe House

Henry Snell, cowkeeper

George Symons, auctioneer

Ware, Samuel James, Farmer, Heazille Barton

Webber & Symons, auctioneers and valuers

Mrs. Thirza Wheatcroft, Natrional Schoolmistress

A, H, Wheaton and Whitmarsh, shoddy, wool flock and mill puff manufacturer

Rev. Philip Williams MA; BCL, Rector

Ephraim Winson, blacksmith

Richard Whippell, farmer Radway, Up Exe

Carriers: - From Silverton and Thorverton to Exeter pass through daily.

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page