^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

ROMANSLEIGH IN WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF 1878/79

 

The church of St. Rumon, Romansleigh

The church of St. Rumon, Romansleigh

© Richard J. Brine

 

"Romansleigh, or Rumonsleigh, commonly called Rumsleigh, is a parish in the South Molton Union, County Court district, rural deanery and petty sessional division, polling district of North Devon, Barnstaple archdeaconry and Witheridge Hundred. It had 208 inhabitants (114 males, 94 females) in 1871, living in 44 houses on 2491 acres of land. Romansleigh village is situated 4 miles S by E  of South Molton. The parish is generally fertile and the land rises to a lofty eminence called Beacon Hill, said to be one of the highest points in the county.

The Abbey of Tavistock, in which St. Rumon, the patron saint of the church was buried, had an estate in this parish, and there was anciently a monk here from the collegiate establishment at Chulmleigh, under the visitorial control of the Abbot.

Sit T. D. Acland, Bart., is lord of the manor and owner of a about a quarter of the parish, the remaining three quarters belong to the Honorable Mark Rolle, Rev. J. James, Mrs. Benson, Mr. Greenslade and others.

The church (St. Rumon) consisting of nave and chancel with vestry, was rebuilt in 1868 after designs by Edward Ashworth Esq., at a total cost of £1200, of which £300 was raised on the security of the church rates, and the remainder by subscription. The chancel contains two beautiful memorial windows by Clayton and bell. In the churchyard are the remains of an old stone cross and six beautiful lime trees forming an avenue to the rectory house. The living is a rectory valued in the King's Book at £10. 14s. 9½d, in the patronage of Sir Thomas Acland, Bart., and incumbency of the Rev. James Mayne, BA. The school room was given by Sir T. D/ Acland, who also left £50 for its support. The poor parishioners have 4s a year left by Thomas Packer and the interest of £10, being a legacy left by Mr. John Davy.

 

Letters through South Molton which is the nearest Money Order Office."

 

Adams, Henry Kemp, sexton

Adams, Mrs. Mary, schoolmistress

Adams, William, carpenter

Ayre, John, farmer, Kingstrew

Carder, Henry, blacksmith

Crang, John, farmer, Thorndown

Drake, David, farmer, Langley

Fewing, Thomas, farmer, Beera

Greenslade, John, farmer, Rowley

Kemp, William, farmer, Road

Mayne, Rev. James BA, rector, The Rectory

Palfreman, John, boot & shoe maker, Underhill

Partridge, Samuel, farmer, Horridge

Smale. William, farmer, Odam

Treble, John, cooper and wheelwright, Little Silver

Vickery, William, farmer, Kitcott

Webber, Mrs. Ann, farmer, Barton

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page