The parish affairs of South Huish are unusual. The original church , dedicated to St. Andrew, is now in ruins. In 1866, when parts of it were already some five hundred years old, it was decided that it was in a hopeless state of repair - any work attempted would cost far more than the tiny population of the parish could afford - and so the old building was abandoned.
A replacement church was at once begun in the hamlet of Galmpton and soon completed. Built in the Early English style, its tower held four bells which had formerly hung in St. Andrews and it also gave a new home to the 14th century font from the old church.
After 1867, the majority of burials took place in the churchyard of the new church at Galmpton but, probably for family reasons, some parishioners continued to be interred at the old church of St Andrew - their names are marked §.
There also are ecclesiastical links with the nearby parish of Malborough as demonstrated by the "Malborough with South Huish Church of England Primary School". Rather confusingly, the hamlet of Inner Hope is actually in the parish of Malborough while that of Hope (or Hope Cove), which lies only a few metres away, belongs to South Huish. Judging by the number of people from Inner Hope who are listed below, this was not always clearly understood by local people.
The parishes contiguous to South Huish are
South Milton, West Alvington and Malborough.