Stockleigh Pomeroy, on a bold eminence, four miles N.E. of Crediton, is a village and parish, containing 258 souls, and 1239 acres of land. It was long held by the ancient family of Pomeroy, but is now the property of Sir H.F.R. Davie, Bart.
The Church (St. Mary,) has an embattled tower and two bells. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £15. 6s. 8d,, and in 1831 at £260, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Young, who has a good residence, with tasteful grounds. The poor have the interest of £112, given by various donors. The glebe is 46 acres., and the tithes were commuted in 1841 for £180.