^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

ESCOT - ENTRY IN KELLY'S DIRECTORY FOR 1919

 

Use the scroll bar to view the complete page

 

"Escot was formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1844 from the civil parishes of Ottery St. Mary and Talaton; it is on the road from Honiton to Exeter, about 1¾ miles south from Sidmouth Junction Station on the London and South Western Railway, 5 miles south-west from Honiton and 11 north-east from Exeter, in the Honiton division of the county, Ottery St. Mary Hundred, union and county court district of Honiton, rural deanery of Ottery, and arch-deaconry and diocese of Exeter.

The church of SS Philip and James, built by the late Sir John Kennaway bart. in 1838 at a cost of about £3000, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and a western turret containing one bell: there are eight stained lancet windows, and a pulpit of carved oak, by Hems of Exeter, erected in 1896 as a memorial to the late Miss Augusta Kennaway: the church has 200 sittings. The register for baptisms and burials dates from the year 1840; marriages from 1869. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £240, in the gift of the Right Hon. Sir J. H. Kennaway bart. PC; CB; and held since 1894 by the Rev. Edward Charles Nightingale, MA of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge.

The Right Hon. Sir John Henry Kennaway bart. PC; CB; MA; DL; JP is the principal landowner and resides at Escot; the mansion, which stands in a well-wooded park of 66 acres, was rebuilt on the site of the former one, destroyed by fire; a stream flows through the park and forms part of its eastern boundary.

In 1897, a public clock was placed in an existing wall at Fairmile, by parishioners and friends, to commemorate the sixtieth year of the reign of her late Majesty Queen Victoria.

The soil is clay; subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and pasture. The area is 2000 acres; population in 1911 was 379. Part of Fenny Bridges is in this district. Combe Lake, 1 mile north west from Ottery St. Mary is also in this district.

Sexton; William Welsman

Post, Money Orders, Telegraph and Telephone Office, Fairmile. Alfred Blackmore, sub-postmaster. Letters through Ottery St. Mary.

Wall letter box, Fenny Bridges.

Public elementary School (mixed) for 74 children. Miss Lilly Langdon, mistress."

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Grant, James, Holly Bank, Fenny Bridges

Diment, Misses, Sweethams

Kennaway, Sir John Henry bart. PC; CB; MA; DL; JP; Escot

Kennaway, Captain John, JP, Escot

Nightingale, Rev. Edward Charles, MA, Vicarage

Toogood, John, Bloomfield, Fenny Bridges

Winder, Mrs. Fairmile

COMMERCIAL

Ash, Mrs. Mary A, laundress, Taleford

Baker, Herbert Horace, miller, Fairmile Mill

Baker, Jesse Thomas Ward, farmer, Pitt Farm

Blackmore, Alfred, basket maker & sub-postmaster, Fairmile

Brown, George, farmer, Little Ash

Causeley, James, thatcher, Fenny Bridges

Cole, Frank, farmer, Skinner's Ash

Cole, Richard, farmer, Taleford

Dommett, Edwin Percy, blacksmith, Fenny Bridges

Escot Village Club and Reading Room (Alfred Blackmore, Hon Sec.)

Manfield, Walter G, Clerk of works to Sir John Kennaway bart.

Marks, William, farmer, Ash Farm

Midwinter, Daniel, farm bailiff to Sir John Kennaway bart

North, Walter, surveyor to Honiton RUDC, Bellevue, Fenny Bridges

Palmer, William , dairyman

Pearcy, William Edward, farmer, Taleford

People's Refreshment House Ass. Ltd (Charles Stockford manage) Fairmile Inn

Pike Robert, head gardener to Sir John Kennaway

Potter, James Henry, farmer, Fenny Bridges

Reed, Alfred Ernest, dairyman, Higher Pitt

Seward, Fred, farmer, Straitgate

Stiling, William, Greyhound Public House, Fenny Bridges

Streat, John, mechanical engineer, Fairmile

Trude, John William, farmer, Birdcage

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page