Talaton was in the Honiton Workhouse Union. The parish includes the hamlets of Larkbeare, Escot, Talewater, and Fairmile. Since it was built by Sir John Kennaway in 1838, Escot has had its own parish church (St. Philip and St. James). Escot together with part of the former Talaton parish, became a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1840 and acquired its own set of parish registers from that date.
The contiguous parishes of Talaton are Clyst Hydon, Payhembury, Feniton, Ottery St. Mary, Whimple and the "modern" parish of Escot.