^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

THRUSHELTON IN WHITE'S HISTORY AND DIRECTORY OF DEVONSHIRE 1878

THURSHELTON, or Thrushelton, a scattered parish, 10 miles S.W. by W. of Okehampton, is in Tavistock union, rural deanery, and county court district, Lifton petty sessional division and hundred, Lew Down polling district of South Devon, and Totnes archdeaconry. It had 448 inhabitants (244 males, 204 females) in 1871, living in 96 houses; the area is 3714 acres, generally having a fertile soil, resting on clay, limestone, and manganese. John Tremayne, Esq., M.P., is lord of the manor of Canonbarn; and he and T. G. Newton, Esq., are the principal owners of the soil. The Church (St. George) is a plain Perpendicular structure, consisting of nave, with south aisle, chancel with aisle, south porch, and an embattled tower at the west end. There is a piscina in the south wall of the chancel, and another in the chancel aisle. The church is seated to hold 150 people. The living is a curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Marystowe, in the gift of John Tremayne, Esq., the impropriator of the tithes, which were commuted in 1839 — the rectorial for £l30, the vicarial for £109 a year. The Rev. H. B. Grylls is the vicar. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. The parishes of Lew Trenchard and Thrushelton are united as a School district, and there is a joint School at Lew Cross; Letters by foot post, via Lew Down; but Lifton is the nearest Money Order Office. Coryton and Bridestow are the nearest Railway Stations.

 

RESIDENTS

 

Abell Thomas, farmer, Wonnacott

Alford James, mason, Little Huddispit

Allin John, timber merchant Broadley Cottage

Bailey Richard. farmer, Thrushelford

Baker William, carpenter. Church cottage

Ball Thomas, farmer. Point

Balman Richard, farmer, Patchill

Banbury John, farmer, Headson

Brown William, farmer, Lee

Burden James, farmer, Lower Mills

Clatworthy Henry, farmer

Dawe William, farmer, Trebeck

Down Samuel, farmer Higher Wheatley

Ellis John, blacksmith Wollacott moor

Frise Thomas, shoemaker and sexton

Grylls Rev Henry Borlase, vicar ; Marystowe

Hamley Mrs Mary, farmer Higher Mills

Hearn George, tailor. Mount Pleasant

Heggadon Stephen, farmer Northdowns

Huxtable John, farmer Wheatley park

Kempe Rev John Henry, curate of Lew Trenchard, Beechwood cottage

Lark Edwin, farmer, Wreys Barton

Perry John Doidge, farmer, Nuthay

Perry John Soper, farmer and manure and lime merchant, Whiterow

Perry William, farmer and lime mer- chant. Alder

Perry William, farmer, Canonbarn

Perry William Soper, farmer. East Musehill

Roberts Samuel shoemaker Trebeck Moor -

Routley Samuel, farmer, Huddispit

Spear Samuel, farmer, Wreys quarry

Spry James, ahopkeeper Lobhill common

Stacey John, farmer, West Musehill

Taylor George, miller, Patchill Mill

Took John, farmer, Wollacott

Warren William, farmer East Dringwell

Weeks John, farmer, Widdacombe

Williams John, carrier

Yelland Benjamin, farmer, Buscott

Carrier — John Williams, to Tavistock, Fri., and Okehampton, Sat

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page