(The Exeter & South Devon Rifle Association came into existence after a meeting held in Exeter on January 13th 1852 when 70 gentlemen, including Henry Barron Rodway, enrolled as members. Subsequently, a battalion was authorised to be raised within "the district bounded on the south by Dartmouth, Totnes and the right bank of the Dart; by Ashburton, Moretonhampstead, Crediton and Tiverton on the west and north; and the borders of Somerset and Dorset to the sea coast by the east; the companies forming the battalion to have several points of assembly for drill and exercises at times best suited to the local convenience of the members of the battalion, having Exeter for its headquarters.)
From "The History of Torquay" by J. T. White
"On the 5th of February 1853, at a public meeting, it was determined to raise a company of Volunteers in Torquay, and on the 28th of the following month, the adjutant attended and enrolled the first members who offered their services. Among those who took the oath of allegiance were H. B. Rodway, W. H. Kitson, W. Rodway, C. Rodway, H. Narracott, W, Marler, J. T. Fisher, J. Ellis, H. Rowe and E. Bond. A Town Committee was formed to promote the organization and provide funds, and in a short time the number of recruits was considerably increased.
Mr. Rodway, who had taken the greatest interest in forming the company, was unanimously requested by the members to allow himself to be nominated as their superior officer; he gave his consent, and on December 23rd 1853, received his commission as captain, and later, major, on November 4th 1863."