Taken from Ward Lock's Guide to Torquay 1918:
"Torquay is in possession of a Free Public Library, largely through the munificence of Mr. Andrew Carnegie who gave £7,500 to cover the cost of the building. The Library, built in 1906, occupies one of the most commanding sites in the town, at Castle Circus.
Adjoining the Library are the imposing Municipal offices, opened in August 1913, the foundation stone having been laid two years before. This fine block of buildings, erected at a cost of some £30,000, is English renaissance in style. Above the main entrance in the centre rises a clock tower 200 feet in height. There is a grand hall on the second floor, capable of seating 1,200 with an additional 300 in the gallery. A feature of the hall is the excellent dancing floor. So far as the civic work is concerned, the accommodation is ample, there being an excellent council chamber, committee rooms, and offices for the staff.
Local materials were used almost entirely, the quarries at Barton, Beer, Ipplepen and Ashburton being freely drawn on, while local marbles figure largely in the internal decorations. During the war*, the Corporation gave up a large part of the municipal building and library for use as a hospital."