^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

UGBOROUGH IN KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF 1923

 

"Ugborough is a large parish and village, on the road from Totnes to Plymouth, 1½ miles south-west from Wrangaton station, on the South Devon section of the great Western railway, 3 miles south-east from Ivybridge, 14 east from Plymouth, 8 south-west from Totnes and 9 north-west from Kingsbridge., in the Ermington and Plympton petty sessional division, Totnes Union and county court district, rural deanery of Plympton, archdeaconry of Plymouth and diocese of Exeter.

 

The church (dedication uncertain) formerly attached to Plympton Priory, is a fine old building, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of granite, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 8 bells: the tower was struck by lightning in 1872, when one of the pinnacles was thrown down and large stones hurled to a considerable distance. The font is Norman, and there are some remains of ancient screen work, including a fairly good rood and a parclose; the former, which has thirty-two painted panels, has been cut down to the level of the seats; the church has 670 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, with the chapelry of Avonwick attached, joint net yearly value £318, including 2½ acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Grocers' Company, and held since 1922 by the Rev. William Berkeley Dowding who resided at Roslin, Ivybridge. Fifty shillings is distributed yearly from Sir J. Powell's charity.

 

There is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1852, with sittings for 240 persons, and a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Bittaford Bridge. The Plymouth Brethren have a mission here.

 

On the moor, there are china clay works. The manor anciently belonged to the Breweres and afterwards to the Mohuns. The Carew family are now lords of the manor; and Mrs. Craig, the trustees of C. A. Wroth, Nicholas W. Rowe and Mrs. Cornish are the chief landowners. The soil is loamy and the subsoil is various. The chief crops are corn and turnips, a considerable portion of the parish being pasture. The are is 8774 acres of land, including about 3000 acres of moorland, and 7 of water; rateable value, £16,413 15s; the population in 1901 was 1483 and in 1911 1739, inclusive of 74 officials and 425 inmates in Plymouth Mental Hospital. Part of the village of Avonwick is in this parish. The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1911 was 1639.

By Local Government Order No. 31841, part of Ugborough was in 1894 added to Ivybridge civil parish and Urban District.

POST:  Mrs. Emma Moore, sub-postmistress. Letters through Ivybridge by foot post.

POST: Bittaford Bridge: Charles James Wyatt, sub-postmaster. Letters through Ivybridge by foot post. Ugborough is the nearest telegraph office.

THE PLYMOUTH MENTAL HOSPITAL:

This hospital was erected at Blackadon at a cost of £50,000 and opened in November 1891. It was extended in 1905 at a further cost of £42,000 for both private and pauper patients. It is a structure of granite and red brick and comprises workshops and a chapel in which services are conducted. The asylum is adapted for 475 patients; the estate comprises 95 acres of which about 30 acres are covered by the asylum buildings and the remainder is used as a farm and recreation ground. The asylum is under the control of Plymouth Town Council and is managed by a visiting committee of 12 members of the Council. Mr. R. J. Fittall, town clerk of Plymouth, is clerk to the committee; William Starkey, MB is medical superintendent; Harry bacon Wilkinson, MRCSEng., LRCP Lond. is assistant medical officer; Frank Ratcliff, is clerk to the asylum.

A school Management Committee of six managers was formed in 1903; Correspondent: George Edgecombe Windeatt, 19, High Street, Totnes; School Attendance officer: William Whiddon, Modbury.

Public Elementary School (mixed and infants) built in 1874 for 200 children; George Bertrand Hulland, master.

Police Station: John Webber, constable in charge.

Railway: Wrangaton Station and Bittaford Platform Station: William Henry Bullen, station master of both."

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Alger, Harold, Fillham House

Bowles. Mrs/ West, Peak House Bittaford

Cocks, Thomas, Southview, Wrangaton

Colley, Thomas Waring, Wrnagaton

Cornish, Mrs., Keaton House

James, Alfred percy, The White House

Jeffery, Capt. Frederick George, Manor House

Orlebar, Lt. Col. Evelyn Henry, Rutt House

Smerdon, Robert, Tor View, Wrangaton

Starkey, William, MB, Blackadon

Wilkinson, Harry Bacon, (asst. Medical officer)

Plymouth Mental Hospital

COMMERCIAL

Andrews, Alfred, farmer, Owley

Andrews, John, farmer, Parson's Park

Andrews, Richard, farmer, Waterman

Andrews, William, farmer, Shute

Ashford, Thomas, The Dairy

Barrett, William H, farmer, Hill Head

Barter, Sydney Luscombe, famrer, Newlands

Beable, Arthur, farmer, Keaton

Beable, George, farmer, Higher Well

Beable, George H., farmer, Deadlakes

Beer, Ernest, farmer, Cheston

Best, William, farmer, Ludbrooke

Blackler, Lewis, farmer, East Peek

Bowden, Ellen (Miss), shopkeeer, Bittaford

China Clay Corporation Ltd.

Coker, John S., road contractor, Bittaford Bridge

Coleman, Lewis, farmer, Fillham

Colley, Thomas Waring, estate agent, (White & Colley), Wrangaton

Colton, Edwin, farmer, Shellwood

Dalton, Hetty (Mrs.), farmer, Stone

Gill, Richard, grocer

Harris, William, farmer, Higher Turtley

Hart, George, farmer, Earlscombe

Head, Edmund, Kingsbridge Road Hotel

Hext, Maria, (Mrs.), cowkeeper, Bittaford Bridge

Hine, George, shoemaker

Hoyle Herbert, farmer, Monk's Moor

Jane, Henry, farmer, Leigh

Johns, Alfred Charles, carpenter

Kelland, Frank, Ship Inn

Kent, Francis E.,draper, Bittaford Bridge

Kent, Thomas, Wrangaton

Kingwell, Philip, farmer, Ware

Lethbridge, Eli, shopkeeper, Fillham

Lidstone, Frederick, farmer, Lower Well

Luscombe, Frederick, farmer, Woodland

Luscombe, John, farmer, Marridge

Luscombe, John Henry, farmer, Lower Broadaford

Morgan, Philip, farmer, Lower Bowcombe

Morgan, Thomas, farmer, Higher Bowcombe

Newman, Frank, baker

Nicholls, Reginald Herbert, farmer, Bolterscombe

Northmore, Harry, Anchor Inn

Northmore, Thomas Henry, farmer, Witchcombe

Northmore, William, farmer & butcher

Palk, Frank, farmer, Cutwell Combe

Pearse, Robert, farmer, Piles Peek

Pearse, William, farmer, Wrangaton

Pellow, Frederick, smallholder, Keaton

Prout, Wilfred, farmer, Fillham

Pyne, Fred, Carew Arms , Glazebrook

Ralpoh, Francis, farmer, Wood Farm

Sellick, George T, farmer, Langford Barton

Sharpe, Emily Ada, (Mrs. ) newsagent

Sherrell, Mark & William, farmers, Whitely

Sherrell, John, smallholder, Yeolands

Sherwell, James, M, farmer, The Hollies, Wrangaton

Shute, Sydney, shopkeeper

Smallridge, John Henry, farmer, Haye

Smerdon, John, farmer, Torr Hill Villa

Smith, William, farmer, Zeaston

Stanbury, Thomas Ford, farmer, Higher Broadaford

Starkey, William, MB; B.Ch, medical superintendent, Blackadon

Tapper, Emma, (Mrs.) farmer, Yeo

Tapper, Richard, farmer, West Peeks

Tooley, John, farmer, Fillham

Tozer, George, farmer, Quarry Farm

Trott, Alfred James, miller, Tutley Mill

Trout, George, blacksmith

Vooght, William, farmer, Yolland Brook

Wakeham, Thomas, farmer, Cannamoor

Watts, Leonard, builder

Webber, John, Sec. Ugborough Reading Rooms

Westlake, Joseph, farmer, Godwell Farm

White & Colley, estate & insurance agents, Wrangaton

White, Henry Rider, Horse & Groom, Bittaford Bridge

White, William, Torpeak

Widdicombe, William, farmer, Cutwell

Wotton, John, farmer, Dunwell

Wyatt, Charles James, shopkeeper & post office, Bittaford Bridge

 

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page