^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page

 

Architecture

Census

Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings

Education

Genealogy

History

Industry

Parish Records

People

Places

Transportation

War Memorials

WEMBURY IN KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF 1923

 

Wembury Church, Mill and Cottages from the seashore c. 1890

Wembury Church, Mill and Cottages from the seashore c. 1890

Courtesy Steve Johnson

 

Wembury is a parish on the south coast of Devon, 6 miles south-east from Plymouth, in the Tavistock division of the county, hundred of Plympton, petty sessional division of Ermington and Plympton, rural district of Plympton St. Mary, county court district of Plymouth, rural deanery of Plympton, archdeaconry of Plymouth and diocese of Exeter. Electricity is available. Water is supplied by the Plympton Rural District Council.

 

The Church of St. Werburgh, situated close to the sea and at some distance from the village, is a plain building of local stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing five bells. In the church are several monuments, including one dated 1677 to the family of Calmady, and another on the north side of the chancel, and dated to Sir John Hele and his family; there are three parclose screens, erected from the designs of Messrs. Hine and Odgers, architects, and executed by Hems of Exeter; the ancient screen was taken down and destroyed in about 1850: the church was restored and reseated in 1886 by the same architects at a cost of £3500 and affords 280 sittings.

 

The register of Baptisms and Burials dates from the year 1611 and Marriages from 1612. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £350,  in the gift of the dean and chapter of Windsor and held since 1883 by the Rev. Charles Burgess  One of the ancestors of Vincent Calmady esq. in 1682 bequeathed £500, now £22 3s. 10d in Consols to the church, the interest on which is distributed in bread, coals and clothing.

Langdon Court, a mile and a quarter distant, is the property and residence of Richard Wallis Cory, esq. J.P. who is lord of the manor, which up to the time of the Dissolution belonged to the Priory of Plympton; the house was built in 1577 by the families of Pollexfen and Calmady, and inhabited by them till 1875, when it was bought by Mr. Cory.

Wembury House was built for Sir John Hele, and was originally much larger than at present. R. W. Cory esq. JP is the principal landowner. The soil is loamy; subsoil is clay and slate. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and turnips. The area is 3131 acres of land, 2 of water, 30 of tidal water and 237 of foreshore. The population in 1911 was 522.

DOWN THOMAS, 1 mile north-west, and KNIGHTON, north-east, are hamlets. HEYBROOK BAY  situated in Wembury Parish, is about one mile south of Down Thomas hamlet. There is a Wesleyan Chapel at Down Thomas.

 

Post, Money Order and Telegraph Office at Knighton. Letters through Plymouth.

Public Elementary School, built in 1876 at a cost of £734 for 80 children. Mrs. Annie Dixon, mistress. The school is controlled by six managers. Philip Bateman of Plymstock is correspondent.

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Arkwright, William, Thorn

Burgess, Rev. Charles (Vicar), Wembury Cottage

Case, Rev. Joshua John, Boveysand

Cory, Richard Wallis, Langdon Court

COMMERCIAL

Andrew, John, farmer, Langdon Barton

Bridgeman, Martin, Traine Farm

Cocks, Ernest, farmer, Down Thomas

Coleman, Nicholas, farmer, Spurwell

Edwards, William, farmer, Manor Farm

Giles, Herbert, farmer, Down Thomas

Giles, Robert Pitts, farmer, Down Thomas

Hoskin, William, farmer, Gabber Farm

Milden, Daniel, carrier

Pursley Brothers, farmers, West Wembury Farm

Sherwill, John Maurice, farmer, Knighton Farm

Wells, Frank, New Inn

Wilson, James, farmer, Pages Farm

KNIGHTON

Sherwill, Mrs. Martha, Knighton Villa

COMMERCIAL

Coleman, John, smith

Nelder, Arthur, farmer, New Barton

Parsons, John, farmer, Old Barton

Perring, Alfred, Jubilee Inn.

 

 

 
 
^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page