Stoke Damerel

Home Up Contents Search

 

The town of Dock

The town of Dock showing Stoke Church some distance away to the east. 1820.

 

Stoke or Stoke Damerel Church

The first citizens of Dock were isolated from early Plymouth where the churches of St Andrews and Charles stood, by creeks and marshes - the sea being the only means of travel from one place to the other. North-east of the site chosen was a tiny hamlet called Stoke or Stoke Damerel and its church was to become the Mother Church of Dock.

Stoke parish records date from 1595 although there are no records of the citizens of Dock until nearly a century later.

 

Stoke or Stoke Damerel Church

 

Using the tracks which led over the marshes and guided by a Plymouth man, John Wesley* walked from Plymouth to Dock for his first visit on September 3rd 1746. He preached out of doors to the rough and rowdy workers and it wasn't a great success. But next day, he came again, this time with more followers from Plymouth and gradually the crowd began to listen. It was not long before many of them were won over by what they heard - simple religious beliefs based directly on the teachings of the Bible. By 1751, Wesley's followers were able to rent a private house for their worship which became known as the Lower Room. The following year, they built their own meeting house nearby which they called the Higher Room.

By 1775, the coach routes between Plymouth and Dock described in the 1791 Universal Directory had started up and by 1784 were running along a brand-new turnpike road. Other Dissenters who did not conform to the doctrines and customs of the Anglican Church had begun to arrive in Dock from Plymouth and in 1781, the Baptists built their first chapel in Dock on land in Liberty Fields which later became the Pembrook Street Chapel. After Wesley's death in 1791, the Methodist movement split into groups known as Wesleyans, Primitive Wesleyans, United Free Methodists and, after 1815,  Bible Christians. By the early 1820s, there were some 17 chapels in Dock catering for a population estimated at over 24,000.

This means much hard work for the family historian because all these dissenting groups performed their own baptism services. As these often took place on private premises and there were no laws at that time governing registration of such events, record-keeping was, to say the least, patchy. A number of baptismal records were transcribed into the IGI and this is claimed to be complete but DFHS says many missing records have been found. Stoke Church was still used by everyone for marriages until 1837 and for burials after that time, but as Dock grew, other Anglican churches were built and new parishes formed with their own registers

 

Torpoint ferry

Torpoint ferry

The families of many workers at Dock lived a short distance across the Hamoaze in the parish of Maker which was in the County of Devon until 1844 when it was transferred to Cornwall.

 

*See also Issue 11

Click here to continue

 

Send mail to webmaster@stentiford.org  with questions or comments about this web site.
  Last modified:
30/09/2005