^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page




Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings





Parish Records




War Memorials



Coryton is a small parish near the confluence of the rivers Lew and Lyd, with a station ¾ mile west from the church, on the Launceston branch of the Great Western Railway; it is 8½ miles from Tavistock, 9 east from Launceston and 263 from London, in the Tavistock Division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Lifton, rural district, county court district and rural deanery of Tavistock, archdeaconry of Plymouth and diocese of Exeter.


The church of St. Andrew is a small building in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 5 bells; the chancel has lancet windows and appears to be Early English work; there are four stained glass windows to the Newman family, one in the chancel, two in the north aisle and one in the nave; the church was thoroughly restored in 1885 at a cost of £1400. The register dates from the year 1654. The living is united to the vicarage of Marystowe, joint gross yearly income £600, with residence, in the gift of Major James Archibald St. George Fitzwarenne Despencer - Robertson, OBE; MP and Thomas Newman Esq., alternately and held since 1929 by the Rev. John Augustus Kirby MA of Hertford College, Oxford who resides at Marystowe.


The scenery in the locality is extremely beautiful, with well-wooded hills, lovely vales and the gently meandering river, well stocked with trout. The soil is loam and clay; subsoil, slate and limestone. The land is principally meadow for for grazing purposes. The area is 1520 acres of land and inland water; the population in 1931 was 136.


By a Local Government Board Order (16404) which came into operation 25 March 1884, a detached part of Bridestowe, in Okehampton rural district, was amalgamated with this parish for civil purposes.


POST OFFICE: Letters through Lew Down. Chillaton is the nearest Money Order & Telegraph Office.


There is a railway station.



Newman, Thomas, Manor Cottage



Bickle, Solomon, Westcott

Blowey, William, farmer, Coryton Mill

Brodrick, James, boot repairer

Chasty, Mrs. Ellen, grocer & post office

Dungey, Martin Treffey, farmer, Malt House

Glass, Mrs. Frances Lily, farmer, Malt House

Mounce, V  & Sons, quarry owners

Perkins, William, jun. farmer, Lougham

Perry, Spear & Co. Ltd, coal merchants

Reddicliffe, William, farmer, Ireland

Rice, John Seth Harry, farmer, Knowle

Squire, Albert Hedley, farmer, Eastcott

Squire, Jonas, farmer, Barton

Trant, Ralph Philip, farmer, Ford Farm

Turner, Captain Norman Henry, beekeeper, Fairways

Wood, John, farmer, Bate Park



^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page