^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page




Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings





Parish Records




War Memorials



Entering the village of East Anstey
©Richard J. Brine


East Anstey is a parish, with a station on the Devon and Somerset branch of the Great Western Railway and is 4 miles south-west from Dulverton, 10 east from South Molton and 188 from London, in the South Molton division of the county, Hundred, petty sessional division, rural district, county court district and rural deanery of South Molton, archdeaconry of Barnstaple and diocese of Exeter.


The church of St. Michael, standing on a hill 800 above the sea level, at the head of a valley which extends in a westerly direction to within a few miles of South Molton, is a building of stone in the Early English style, with inserted Perpendicular windows, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and embattled western tower containing 6 bells. In the porch is a portion of a Norman archway with zigzag moulding. The church was restored in 1871 at a cost of £800, and has 100 sittings.


The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1506; marriages from 1764. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of West Anstey annexed, joint net yearly value £530, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich and the dean and Chapter of Exeter alternately, and held since 1927 by the Rev. John Spencer Payne MA, of St. Edmund Hall, Oxford, and rural dean of South Molton.


A monthly cattle market is held the 4th Monday in each month. The northern part of the parish is occupied by a common nearly 2000 acres in extent, with an elevation of 1100 feet. Stephen Legassicke Hancock Esq. and Mrs. Drake are the principal landowners. In this parish are part of the kennels of the Dulverton foxhounds; Lord Poltimore, DL; JP, is Master and Mrs. E. J. Hancock and Captain E. C. Mylne are assistant Masters. The pack comprises 50 couples of hounds and hunts Monday, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Dulverton and South Molton are convenient centres; East Anstey 1½ miles distant, is the nearest railway station to the kennels.


The soil is clay on the north-west of the parish and shillett* on the north-east; subsoil, clay and shillett. This is a stock-rearing district, The chief crops are oats and roots. The acreage is 3303; the population in  1931 was 207 in the civil parish and 374 in the ecclesiastical.


POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE: Letters through Tiverton. Dulverton (Somerset) is the nearest Money Order Office.


*Shillett is a local name for slate.



Hancock, Mrs. JP, Barton House

Hancock, Stephen Legassicke, Rhyll

Hill, John Charles Heath, Henspark

Payne, Rev. John Spencer MA, rector and rural dean, The Rectory

Stapledon, Richard, Knapp

Townsend, Geoffrey, Broomball


Baker, Elizabeth Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Bussell's Moor

Barrow, Ewart George, farmer, Waddicombe

Bawden, Harold, farmer, West Liscombe

Bucknell, Reginald, farmer, Yanney

Carter, Frank, farmer, Higher Radnidge

Fewings, William Miller, farmer, Musshill

Froude Arms public house, licensee, Robert Treble Hale

Hancock, John (Mrs.) farmer, Parsonage Farm

Harris, Henry, farmer, Barton

Jones, Frederick Richards, farmer, Higher Town

Jubilee Inn, licensee, Harold Slater

Nott, Albert, farmer, Cruwys Ball

Pearce, Augustus, farmer, Oak

Richards, John, farmer, Nether Woodburn Farm

Slader, William Henry, farmer, Lower Radnidge

Tarr, Benjamin (Mrs), farmer, Hare & Hounds

Taylor, Henry, farmer, Dunsley

Veysey, John carpenter, Newpark


^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page