^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page




Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings





Parish Records




War Memorials



Newton St. Cyres is a pleasant village on the south side of the vale of the river Creedy, 4½ miles N.W of Exeter and 3½ E.S.E of Crediton. Its parish contains 1234 souls and 4305 acres of land, rising in bold undulations from the river and including the tythings of FORD, NORTON and SMALLBROOK, the hamlet of WINSCOTT and many scattered houses.


A cattle fair is held in the village on the Monday before Midsummer-day. John Quicke Esq. is lord of the manor of Newton and resides at Newton House where his family has been seated since the reign of Elizabeth. This manor was given at an early period to Plympton Priory, by Robert de Pontaral (or Pont-Arch). The estate called Hayne belongs to Sir S. H. Northcote, Bart.,and was formerly the seat of his family, but the mansion was reduced to a farm  house many years ago.


The church (St. Cyres) stands on a fine eminence and has a tower and five bells. It was built in the 12th or 13th century and has a large burial ground surrounded by fine lime trees etc. The interior was neatly renewed at a cost of £100 in 1831, and contains several monuments of the Northcote and Quicke families, one of which has effigies of Jacob Northcote Esq., and his two wives, who died in the 17th century.

The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £16 15s 5d and incumbency of the Rev.E. H. Quicke BA, who has 27 acres of glebe and a handsome residence, the outer walls of which have lately been rebuilt, and new windows inserted. The vicarial tithes were commuted in 1844 for £360 and the rectorial for £361 per annum. The latter belong to Sir S. H. Northcote and J.Quicke Esq. The poor have four rent charges amounting to £3 5s per annum, and left by John, Robert and Thomas Quicke. They also have the interest of £20 which arose from £10 left by John Rook in 1735. Abraham Franks, in 1795, left £100 secured on the Okehampton Turnpike, in trust to pay yearly £1 18s to the poor of this parish, and £2 2s to Devon and Exeter Hospital. Dr Downman, the poet, was a native of this parish.


Newton St. Cyres - the main road from Exeter

The main road from Exeter to Crediton runs right

through the middle of Newton St Cyres

©Richard J. Brine



Edward Batting and William Cann, butchers

John Beer and William Taylor, tailors

George Bonner, baker

James Cudford, cooper

William Elliott, victualler, the North Devon Inn

Ambrose Holmes, wheelwright

Thomas Hutchings, shoemaker and shopkeeper

George Lang, victualler, the New Inn

William Luxton and John Pool, blacksmiths

Thomas Moore, wheelwright

John Quicke, Esq, Newton House

Rev. Edward H. Quicke, BA, the Vicarage

Captain Thomas John Rainforth, The School

Joseph Ware, victualler, the Crown and Sceptre

Thomas Wyatt, victualler, the Old Inn


John Batting, Smallbrook

William Brown and John Osmond, Hayne

Thomas Ellis and John Pasmore, Norton

John Grosvenor, Westholme

John Palmer, Court Barton

Robert Pasmore, Smallbrook

John Tidboald, Cold Harbour

POST OFFICE at John Elliott's. Letters, via Exeter, daily.


^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page