^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page




Devon County

Devonshire Rgt.

Directory Listings





Parish Records




War Memorials


Use the scroll bar to view the complete page

Talaton (or Tallaton) is a parish and village standing on a bold eminence 2 miles west from Sidmouth Junction station on the main line of the London and South Western railway, 7 west from Honiton and 11 north-east from Exeter, in the eastern division of the County, Hayridge Hundred, Honiton petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Ottery and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter.

The church of St. James, rebuilt with the exception of the tower in 1860 at a cost of £2,000, is an edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave with aisles and a western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells; there are eight stained glass windows, a fine oak screen and a Norman font and several monuments to the Harwood and Amyatt; there are 220 sittings. The register dates from 1621. The living is a rectory, net yearly income £400, including 100 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1898 by the Rev, Richard Jenkins MA; L.Th of Durham University. The charities of the parish amount to £20 yearly.

The Right Hon.Sir John Henry Kennaway Bart, MA, PC, CB, DL, JP is lord of the manor and resides at Escot about 1½ miles south east of the village. The Right Hon. Sir J. H. Kennaway Bart., J. P. Matthews esq. and Charles Pratt esq. are chief landowners. The soil varies; in some parts it is heavy and in other parts it is light loam; subsoil, clay. The area is 2,411 acres; rateable value £4,342; the population of the civil parish in 1911 was 419 and of the ecclesiastical parish, 352.

LARKBEARE is a hamlet, 2 miles south and 2½ miles east from Whimple station, on the London and South Western railway.

Post, M.O & T and Telephonic Express Delivery Office - John Ireland Dayment, sub-postmaster. Letters from Ottery St. Mary, Devon, arrive at 8.00 am & 4.30 pm; dispatched at 5 pm; open on Sundays for telegraphs and telephone business, 8.30 to 10.00 am.

Wall Letter Box, Larkbeare, cleared 5.30 pm week days only.

Public Elementary School (mixed), enlarged in 1875 and in 1906 for 100 children; average attendance 60; Miss Emily Mardon, mistress.

(For other names in Talaton civil parish but Escot ecclesiastical parish see under Escot)


Hughes, Lady, Larkbeare House

Jenkins, Rev.Richard M.A; L.Th ,Rectory

Matthew, Jonah Pynsent, Rydon House

Pratt Charles, Westcott

Pyle, Miss New Cottage


Anning, James, farmer, Larkbeare

Arbery, Henry, farmer, Larkbeare

Bambury, James, shopkeeper and carpenter

Blackmore, James Persey, farmer, Lashbrooke Farm

Dayment, John Ireland, boot maker and assistant overseer, Post Office

Drew, James, farmer, Moorhayne

Gosling, Walter, gamekeeper to Sir John Kennaway, Larkbeare

Ireland, Henry, shoe maker

Ireland, John, farmer

Lush, William, farmer, Talewater

Madge, John, farmer, Mark's Farm

Matthew, Jonah Pynsent, farmer, Rydon House

Mortimer, Francis, farmer

People's Refreshment House Ass. Ltd - S. Priddle, Talaton Inn

Pike, Prudence (Mrs.) laundress

Podbury, John, farmer, Moor Hayes

Podbury,, Sidney, farmer, New Barn

Pratt, Charles, farmer, Westcott

Pyle, Philip, farmer, Harris's Farm

Sanders, William, gardener to C. Pratt Esq

Skinner, George farmer

Skinner, James, farmer

Skinner, Lewis, butcher

Tidwell, Charles, blacksmith

Warren, John, cowkeeper, Beacon Cottage

Woodley, George C, wheelwright

Wright Bros (water), Talewater Mills


^ Home
< Back
? Search
Print this page